VOGONS

Common searches

Using COM ports with DOSBOX

Topic actions

First post, by Jelly

User metadata

Thanx - DOSBOX has solved my problem of Runtime errors trying to run DOS software under XP.
I'm sure I ought to know the answer to this, but anyway-
Using DOSBOX does not seem to make the COM ports available to my DOS software, do I need to include some "DEVICE=" commands in the config file? If so, any hints what they should be?
Many thanks

Reply 5 of 23, by Jean-Pierre_Paris

User metadata

😲
I'm waiting for that !
It will be a revolution 😁 in industry because to maintain old systems, users have to buy new hard and (not so good) new softwares to replace lot of good old industrial softwares wich uses COM ports.
Then DOSBox will solve a lot of problems.
On some machines for example only some DOS software will run in DOXBox on XP. Will then be normal to pay for XP? and not for DOSBox ?

You make a great work ! 😲

A bientôt!

Jean-Pierre

Reply 7 of 23, by jal

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
KalleKula Sweden wrote:

There is another free DOS emulator that is a little bit more tricky to configure but it has functionallity for COM and LPT.
http://bochs.sourceforge.net/

Bochs isn't a DOS emulator - it's a complete PC emulator. And it isn't "a little bit more tricky", but much more tricky, and it requires a copy of DOS, and much more resources than Dosbox does. It's quite good when, say, you're developing an OS, but for running old DOS programs/games it's not.

JAL

Reply 8 of 23, by icemann

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So old style serial ports dont work in XP? Never knew that 😒.

I`d always presumed that practicly any sort of computer would work with it (486 upwards).

Two stones, two crosses, the rest is just icing. - 7th Guest

Reply 9 of 23, by belinea

User metadata

That's right!
The serial port isn't working very well for DOS-applications under XP.
--> the transfer is very slow because the CPU runs at 100% capacity!
What means "The direct access to serial ports will be in the next version."
Is it allready implemented in Version 0.62? I adapted the .conf, but I get the message:
Opening Windows serial port
Unhandled INT 14 call 3
😳

Thamks

Reply 10 of 23, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
belinea wrote:
What means "The direct access to serial ports will be in the next version." Is it allready implemented in Version 0.62? I adapte […]
Show full quote

What means "The direct access to serial ports will be in the next version."
Is it allready implemented in Version 0.62? I adapted the .conf, but I get the message:
Opening Windows serial port
Unhandled INT 14 call 3
😳
Thamks

Yes, it is in DOSBOX 0.62 (in Windows version only, not on Linux etc). See "directserial" section in DOSBOX.CONF. I have never used it, so I cannot tell anything more to it.

Mirek

Reply 13 of 23, by canadacow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
belinea wrote:

Unhandled INT 14 call 3

That's some old software you've got there. Those are part of the BIOS's old serial routines. I implemented the port passthrough, but not the old BIOS hooks at INT 14. In short, to get this app to work more coding will have to be done with the serial passthrough. I'll see what I can do.

Reply 15 of 23, by ktory

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was hoping to use DOSBOX for a number of old applications that I have that will not run under XP because of their serial port access.

I tried the current version - no luck. Anything you can do to fix would be appreciated.

Reply 18 of 23, by canadacow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Both fossil and comport access through the DOS device drivers is not available in DosBox. I'm fairly sure the lack of these two things is what's causing your problems. Only direct serial access works inside DosBox.