VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Guest

User metadata

I get the error message "SDL Lock failed" when I play some of my favorite dos games. I know it has to do with the mouse because it will freeze in the middle of the screen. DOSBox keeps repeating the error message and then crashes with saying the "memory could not be read". Any idea's of what I could try to stop this?

Reply 3 of 12, by Guest

User metadata

OK, I had the same problem with F1 Manager Pro.
It loaded ok, then when the game actually started it crashed with an error message saying "SDL lock failed"

This is what worked for me:

When dosbox is loading the file (ex. after i type "f1.exe" and the program is loading) press ctrl+F12 a few times until the cpu cycle level is around 10000.
It does not crash anymore now and runs like it did when i was still using win 98 😀

Hope it helps!

Reply 4 of 12, by Guest

User metadata

I'm running at around 11000 cycles on theme park (any faster and the game gets choppy) and it still does it. It takes about 1-5 minutes to happen, but it eventually does. I tryed it on my laptop and it has the same problem so I know it's not just my system config. The game is uses the mouse 95% of the time so it's unplayable.

Reply 5 of 12, by Guest

User metadata

i'm having the same problem with theme park. it happens every time the game switches the resolution. i play the game at a high resolution in game but all the other screens are still low res so sometimes when the game switches to an options screen (eg at the end of a year or something) it happens. man i really wanna play this game 🙁

Reply 8 of 12, by Guest

User metadata

The sdl.dll file is right in the DOS Box directory so a newer one (in theory) would come with a new long overdue version of DOS Box. I looked online for a newer one, but all were older then what I had. I have the newest video drivers, but I don't see how that would conflict with a mouse problem.

Reply 9 of 12, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

about the mouse.
SDL_LOCK is a error which happens quite often if it occurs. That takes all the cpu time from the emulation and due to design in games the game will crash it self eventually (irq's and such)

I think 0.61 was distributed with 1.2.6 and .7 is available. But we "hacked" the sdl distributed with 0.61 so the regular version of sdl might be a bit more stable.

just download it and replace the one in the dosbox directory.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 11 of 12, by priestlyboy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeh, I have decide to distribute the actual built by libsdl.org Win32 DLLs because I find that any built on system DLLs may hinder performance and cause issues on other computers unlike the one you built it on.
So it is much more stable to use the Official DLLs in my opinion.

Ieremiou
----------
Helping Debug DOSBox.