VOGONS

Common searches

Problems using Windows95 in RetroPie

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Spiky

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Making Win95 work in DOSBox was relatively easy task to do (on my Windows 10 desktop). Running games was no problem, performance was pretty good as well.

However, my plan was to move it to Pi3, RetroPie. Now to achieve this, I had to remove COM1, COM2, LPT1 drivers, otherwise the only way to run Win95 there was from safe mode. At the moment, it boots without any issues. Problems start when I try to run anything. I tried to run Dangerous Dave (the first one, from 80s), but Win95 crashes right as start of the game. Next time, I decided to try to run it from command line, but it got frozen as soon as the command line appeared. I also did few changes to DOSBox config (on both machines, on Win10 desktop works just fine) - machine=svga_s3,core=normal,cputype=pentium_slow.

I am well aware of the fact that DOSBox was not made for running Windows95, still, I would really appreaciate if anyone could help. Thanks

Reply 1 of 5, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Win9x is not supported in DOSBox. It can be done, but there are multiple issues. It is best done through other, non-official builds, but the DOSBox team does not support them.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 4 of 5, by Spiky

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am happy to tell you I finally managed to make it work. Tried to run several games under it and it works pretty good. I will put together guide and place it into https://retropie.org.uk/forum/ , so if anyone is interested in making Win95 work in RetroPie, you can follow me there.

Looks like the most you can get out of this place is the knowledge that something is impossible. At least I know where NOT to go when seeking for help. Thanks