VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by frankvw

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, all,

I've Googled, read manuals, wiki's and FAQs, and I can't find how to deal with this. So here goes.

I'm running DOSbox 0.74 on Ubuntu Linux 18.04 (Bionic) on a Dell Inspiron 15 with ATI Radion graphics. Because the screen resolution of my desktop is high, the DOSbox window at standard resolution is small, but editing the config file for a 2x zoom solved that problem:

[sdl]
fullscreen=false
fulldouble=true
fullresolution=desktop
windowresolution=1024x768
output=overlay
autolock=true
sensitivity=100
waitonerror=true
priority=higher,normal
mapperfile=mapper.txt
usescancodes=true
[render]
frameskip=0
aspect=true
scaler=hq2x

Now the DOSbox window has a decent size and text is readable again. 😀

But...
When I run applications in graphics mode, some (e.g. Sierra's Leisure Suit Larry 1) the DOSbox window reverts to 1x zoom mode (320x200, AFAIK) while other apps (such as FutureCrew's 2nd Reality demoscene winner from 1993) start at 2x zoom, but then halfway through the windows suddenly reverts to its original 1x size again.

When I try to run DOSbox in full mode, everything goes mad: DOSbox fails to switch to full screen mode but instead windows start to jump all over the screen.

I've played with different output parameters (e.g. normal) and scaler parameters (e.g. normal2x) but these either don't work at all or don't change the scale changing behavior.

What can I do to troubleshoot this? All suggestions appreciated!

// FvW

Reply 1 of 1, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmm. Not sure what's the problem. Did you try output=opengl, too ?
I'm on Windows, but these settings work for me to double 320x200 games in size
(I'm using an old SVN release by Daum here, I believe).

# This is the configurationfile for DOSBox SVN. (Please use the latest version of DOSBox)
# Lines starting with a # are commentlines and are ignored by DOSBox.
# They are used to (briefly) document the effect of each option.

[sdl]
# fullscreen: Start dosbox directly in fullscreen. (Press ALT-Enter to go back)
# fulldouble: Use double buffering in fullscreen. It can reduce screen flickering, but it can also result in a slow DOSBox.
# fullresolution: What resolution to use for fullscreen: original or fixed size (e.g. 1024x768).
# Using your monitor's native resolution with aspect=true might give the best results.
# If you end up with small window on a large screen, try an output different from surface.
# windowresolution: Scale the window to this size IF the output device supports hardware scaling.
# (output=surface does not!)
# output: What video system to use for output.
# Possible values: surface, overlay, opengl, openglnb, openglhq, ddraw, direct3d.
# autolock: Mouse will automatically lock, if you click on the screen. (Press CTRL-F10 to unlock)
# sensitivity: Mouse sensitivity.
# waitonerror: Wait before closing the console if dosbox has an error.
# priority: Priority levels for dosbox. Second entry behind the comma is for when dosbox is not focused/minimized.
# pause is only valid for the second entry.
# Possible values: lowest, lower, normal, higher, highest, pause.
# mapperfile: File used to load/save the key/event mappings from. Resetmapper only works with the defaul value.
# pixelshader: Pixelshader program (effect file must be in Shaders subdirectory).
# usescancodes: Avoid usage of symkeys, might not work on all operating systems.
# overscan: Width of overscan border (0 to 10). (works only if output=surface)

fullscreen=false
fulldouble=false
fullresolution=desktop
windowresolution=original
output=opengl
autolock=true
sensitivity=100
waitonerror=true
priority=highest,normal
mapperfile=mapper-SVN.map
pixelshader=MCAmber.fx
usescancodes=false
overscan=0

[dosbox]
# language: Select another language file.
# machine: The type of machine DOSBox tries to emulate.
# Possible values: hercules, cga, tandy, pcjr, ega, vgaonly, svga_s3, svga_et3000, svga_et4000, svga_paradise, vesa_nolfb, vesa_oldvbe, amstrad.
# vmemsize: Amount of video memory in megabytes.
# The maximum resolution and color depth the svga_s3 will be able to display
# is determined by this value.
# 0: 512k (800x600 at 256 colors)
# 1: 1024x768 at 256 colors or 800x600 at 64k colors
# 2: 1600x1200 at 256 colors or 1024x768 at 64k colors or 640x480 at 16M colors
# 4: 1600x1200 at 64k colors or 1024x768 at 16M colors
# 8: up to 1600x1200 at 16M colors
# For build engine games, use more memory than in the list above so it can
# use triple buffering and thus won't flicker.
#
# captures: Directory where things like wave, midi, screenshot get captured.
# memsize: Amount of memory DOSBox has in megabytes.
# This value is best left at its default to avoid problems with some games,
# though few games might require a higher value.
# There is generally no speed advantage when raising this value.

Show last 31 lines
language=
machine=svga_s3
vmemsize=4
captures=capture
memsize=16

[render]
# frameskip: How many frames DOSBox skips before drawing one.
# aspect: Do aspect correction, if your output method doesn't support scaling this can slow things down!.
# linewise: Draw the display line by line. Needed for certain special graphics effects in games and demos. Can be changed at runtime but will be put in effect at the next mode switch.
# char9: Allow 9-pixel wide text mode fonts.
# multiscan: Set this value to true to allow zooming gfx effects used in demos. It will disable several options such as scalers though.
# scaler: Scaler used to enlarge/enhance low resolution modes. If 'forced' is appended,
# then the scaler will be used even if the result might not be desired.
# Possible values: none, normal2x, normal3x, advmame2x, advmame3x, advinterp2x, advinterp3x, hq2x, hq3x, 2xsai, super2xsai, supereagle, tv2x, tv3x, rgb2x, rgb3x, scan2x, scan3x, hardware2x, hardware3x.

frameskip=0
aspect=true
linewise=false
char9=true
multiscan=false
scaler=hardware2x

[vsync]
# vsyncmode: Synchronize vsync timing to the host display. Requires calibration within dosbox.
# Possible values: off, on, force, host.
# vsyncrate: Vsync rate used if vsync is enabled. Ignored if vsyncmode is set to host (win32).
# Possible values:.

vsyncmode=off
vsyncrate=75

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//