VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by dodfr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hello,

I just installed DOSBox 0.61 and I have DirectX9.0 that emulates Midi device that use SoundCanvas Roland sound bank.

When I play my old KingQuest 5 (or other old sierra games) they only recognize MT32 so when music plays...it's quite buggy sound bank.

I remember I had a small .com file that permitted my old SCC-1 to go into MT32 mode (I still have my good old SCC-1 .. but no ISA slot anymore).

I could find SCMODE that is some small toll that permit to do it like original tool from Roland but it cannot find to good IRQ.

Question is, how to make standard DirectX play sound in MT32 mode when I use DOSBox ?

I saw there is a MT32 emulator but it requires a MT32 original ROM DUMP that I don't have.

Regards.

Reply 1 of 8, by priestlyboy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, I can't rightly say since Canadacow was and still is the only one who has the source code and worked on it. He did update his code when he rebuilt the DOSBox.exe file in one of the MT32 threads but never uploaded an updated sourcecode or complete build on his site. (mostly because he was fixing/testing? some bug fixings due to MT32 emulation)

There is a windows driver on his homepage but it needs a rewrite I think canadacow said. So like there is really no hope for MT32 emulation until Roland decides to let go of the copyright issue or canadacow can have enough time to figure out how to do it with a Driver? (i dunno if there is any plans for this) and do it innately in DOSBox.

All I can say is... I wish you luck in finding the ROM dump.

Ieremiou
----------
Helping Debug DOSBox.

Reply 2 of 8, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dodfr wrote:

I could find SCMODE that is some small toll that permit to do it like original tool from Roland but it cannot find to good IRQ.

Next version of Dosbox won't have this problem.

But.. windows' sound canvas emulator doesn't allow changing into mt-32 mode. You will need a better emulator for that for example: Roland Virtual Sound Canvas 3.21 or Yamaha SoftSynthesizer S-YXG50 or any other that allows 😀

Reply 3 of 8, by dodfr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK, where can I get some demo version of virtual sound canvas 3.21 ? It should be an imporved version over the integrated DirectX version isn't it ?

I also tried VDMS. If this version of SOundCanvas emulator is better, then may be it will work correctly when I select "Midi Emulation -> MT32" in the properties of VDMS.

Reply 4 of 8, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Microsoft's softsynth is by no mean a SC emulator. It only happens to use a set of instruments licensed from Roland -- and that's pretty much all. The Virtual Sound Canvas is in a league of its own.

Edirol (this is VSC 3.23)

Reply 5 of 8, by dodfr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

With VSC 3.23 it is still buggy sounds, and the small tool called scmode.exe that permit to change GM to MT32 instruments do not find the MIDI interface from DOSBox0.61

Is there a way to change to MT32 mode from DOSBox 0.61 using VSC 3.23 ?

Reply 7 of 8, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dodfr wrote:

With VSC 3.23 it is still buggy sounds, and the small tool called scmode.exe that permit to change GM to MT32 instruments do not find the MIDI interface from DOSBox0.61

Is there a way to change to MT32 mode from DOSBox 0.61 using VSC 3.23 ?

robertmo wrote:

Next version of Dosbox won't have this problem.

just get the the latest cvs from priestlyboys page