VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by effigy345

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been trying to remap the keys for an old series of games and I've been having some trouble with it. The games in question are the 3D games from the Catacomb series. In the games, the up/down arrow keys control forward and backward movement and the left/right arrow keys turn you. ALT+L/R arrow keys strafes left and right. You can also turn and shoot with the mouse. Fairly standard for FPS games of the era, I think. These games don't allow you to reassign functions inside the games except in the first game in the series. The latter 3, you're just expected to use this control setup. I just can't get the hang of this control scheme, though, I need a more modern setup. I remapped up and down to being W and S without issue. Now what I'm trying to do is to map ALT+L Arrow to A and ALT+R Arrow to D so that I can strafe left and right without having to hold the alt key. I've read numerous posts from others having mapper issues hoping to find the solution, but I just can't get this to work.

What I did is I mapped the Mod2 and left arrow events to the A key and removed the A key event. I repeated this with Mod2 and right arrow on the D key. Now, the A and D keys turn my character, but I'm still required to hold the ALT key to strafe. I then tries manually editing the mapper file to reverse the order of the two events mapped to these keys, but this didn't make a difference, either. What am I missing?

Reply 2 of 4, by effigy345

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm sorry, I'm not sure I'm understanding what you're telling me to do. Also, I think I misspoke in my original post. At present, I have the left arrow and left alt events mapped to the A key and the right arrow and left alt events mapped to the D key. When I press either button in game, it only registers the left and right arrow events in the game.

Reply 3 of 4, by zirkoni

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You talked about mapping the mod2 key:

effigy345 wrote:

What I did is I mapped the Mod2 and left arrow events to the A key and removed the A key event. I repeated this with Mod2 and right arrow on the D key.

The mod keys are used by DOSBox for internal commands such as decreasing/increasing cycles, taking a screenshot, changing to fullscreen, etc.
So, in the keymapper you should
1. select the left arrow -> press add -> press A on your keyboard
2. select left Alt -> press add -> press A on your keyboard

https://youtube.com/@zirkoni42

Reply 4 of 4, by effigy345

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OMG. Thank you, zirconi! This entire time, I've had my understanding of the "event" and "bind" reversed. When I read your most recent update, I was so confused. I re-read it several times before I understood what I was doing. Thank you so much!