VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Shadowblade

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a UK keyboard configured in DOS Box and for my game, but when I press CTRL+F1, the layout is a US keyboard.

None of the Keymapper functions seem seem to work at all. There is a drop-down menu to select UK keyboard, but nothing happens. It's still a US keyboard. This means that \ is <, £ is #, # is \ and all sorts of other daftitudes and preposterosities.

How do I force DOS Box and the keymapper to use a UK keyboard?

How do I abolish the ALT-F11 and ALT-F12 functions?

a) they are useless as I can use a cheat key if I want the game to run faster
b) ALT-F12 is supposed to toggle turbo run speed, but it doesn't, ALT-F11 does that instead.
c) they are disruptive as ALT-F11 is an actual function in the game. So I want it gone from DOS Box.

Apart from that, it's working great. I already tried restting the config file etc.

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit with DOS Box 0.74.

Cheers!

Reply 1 of 5, by Shadowblade

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think I have sorted it out, so for any other UK keyboard users with this problem, here it is.

I was actually using a SVN-Daum build based on DOSBox 0.74, not native 0.74 itself, and I am playing Daggerfall.

I don't know why the CTRL-F1 DOSBox Keymapper has the US keyboard layout, even though it's set for UK layout in:

dosbox-SVN-Daum.conf in C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Local\DOSBox

and this is reflected by the commands etc that DOSBox loads in the DOS Window when launching.

Anyway, to remove the Keymapper function from F11, this is what I did:

press CTRL+F1
there is a box of functions and I clicked SPEEDLOCK2 and deleted it, so it's no longer associated with F11.

Now, I can get out of the Void in Daggerfall (YAY!)

For the key between L-SHFT and Z, which on a UK keyboard is \ but on the US layout <>, so I cannot map \ to JUMP in-game.

So I selected the \ key on the US layout (which I think is ~# on the US layout) and set it to be <> in the mapper, which is \ on my keyboard.

So now my \ key now outputs \, and I can map \ to JUMP in-game. Without doing this, when trying to map \ to JUMP in-game, the game thinks I am trying to map < and CTDs.

After doing this, a new file was created called mapper-SVN-Daum.map in

C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Local\DOSBox

Beforehand there was no such file and the only tools I have are to reset this mapper-SVN-Daum.map file, which deletes it. I cannot find what DOSBox is using for it's default setup with that pesky US layout, but the file is full of settings for keys, so I assume it is possible to create a UK setup by changing some of the numbers so that " £ | \ @ ' ~ # < > and so are are in the right place.

The mapper-SVN-Daum.map file contains loads of things like

key_k "key 107"
key_l "key 108"
key_backslash "key 60" "key 92"

and some of the Daggerfall functions are stored as well.

I am a total novice at this and maybe I may need a more recent version of the latest DOSBox which is out of beta and ready to roll. Preferably one where I can set the flipping keyboard to use UK by default!

So if anyone can advise, I'd be most grateful.

Cheers!

Reply 2 of 5, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

1st get rid of the existing mapperfile and then use Dosbox 0.74-2 or a straight SVN build of Dosbox. With Daum we have no way to know what else Yhkwong changed and screwed up.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 5, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

SVN is a versioning system. So when we say SVN we mean the newest code of DOSBox which is not in an actual release yet.
0.74-2 is a stable release that received many fixes from current code but mainly stability fixes for the various Operating Systems. SVN has more code related to how things work in the emulation.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 5, by Shadowblade

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK, cheers.

Where can I find the latest release, or am I just being dumb? I can't seem to find it!

DUH!

EDIT: No worries, I couldn't find it here so I went to https://www.dosbox.com/

Cheers!