VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Guest

User metadata

When I start up Dos Box I can see that it is way to fast. I know that there is an option to lower down the cycles. But how can i get it to be in the exact time that the real ms dos is operating.

Thank you very much in advance !

Reply 2 of 6, by priestlyboy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

🤣 read the README document included with DOSBox. And use CTRL+12 to increase th CYCLES (aka speed) but do it slowly because doing it too quickly will lead to you pushing your real CPU cycles too far.

Ieremiou
----------
Helping Debug DOSBox.

Reply 3 of 6, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

There is no precise relation between number of cycles and computer speed in MHz (it depends on what is emulated). But it does not matter for most of newer games anyway - after the game's speed is satisfied, further increase in emulation speed does not speed up the game.
Only exceptions are some old PC XT games, which had no speed limitation and their speed was completely dependent on a processor speed.

Anyway: Jazz Jackrabbit runs prefectly in DOSBOX on my Athlon 1 Ghz.

Mirek

Reply 4 of 6, by priestlyboy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@mirekula

I suppose in a way it IS speed but I hadn't finished saying why not to push it too far. It's because you will cause DOSBox to spitter and stutter and you can only get soo much out of DOSBox right now. And some games will allow cycles to keep going because they relied on the speed of the computer (cpu cycles) instead of having encoded an proper cycle internally. Early sierra games have that problem.

Ieremiou
----------
Helping Debug DOSBox.

Reply 5 of 6, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

@priestlyboy: Yes, I know 😀. Since you already made the point about too much cycles being bad, I did not feel the need to repeat it myself.

Jazz Jackrabbit is one of the games which are not dependend on CPU speed. So increasing cycles reasonably will make it work ok.

Mirek