VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Zkyhavon

User metadata

Hi there,

I downloaded DosBox onto my SuSe 9.1 so that I could play X-Com: UFO Defense once again... 😉 the game works perfectly, except for the fact that it is too slow.
I tried increasing cycles and frameskips - nothing. It did get faster in the sense that soldiers and aliens move faster, but explosions, deaths, the geoscope, scrolling in the battlefield are all still way too slow. 🙁

I thougth I might try with a lighter game, but even Defender of the Crown is slow (with 36000 cycles/sec and frame skip at 5!) 😲 .

Hm , any idea, out there? It worked better with mem=32, besides crashing before every battle (indeed, it does not seem to handle anything above 16mb, and the original game played with 2mb, so...).

Could it be that there is a way of making the emulator handle larger quantities of ram, or could it have anything to do with the the monitor or ... ?

Thanks for the help,

Zkyhavon 😵

Reply 1 of 3, by Harekiet

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Or it might be that some people think it's a good idea to just keep pressing that cycles button till it's way to high and your basically emulating a machine your own machine can't handle and it gets slow.

Reply 2 of 3, by Zkyhavon

User metadata

Good point, but no.
I usually stay in the range 1800-7000, as I found in the howtos and stuff. I read in a post that an 'extraordinarily high' value might help solve the problem, but I also read that setting cycles at too high values is bad 😀.

And yes, I did read the guide "how to speed up DosBox", but still did not work.

Do you think it would be of any use trying something lighter than KDE?

Zkyhavon