VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by kovacs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm new at these forums, please be gentle. 😀

I have a MacBook Pro running Macos Mojave.

I bought a "real" Roland SC-55 mk2 which works fine with my Mac. The SC-55 is connected via midi cable to my external audio card which has DIN Midi in/out/thru ports.

Scummvm has no problems sending all midi output to it. I simply selected the correct output port in the Scummvm setup.

However, I can't figure out what I need to do in Dosbox to make it send midi to the unit.

I don't understand what needs to change in the settings:

mpu401=intelligent
mididevice=coreaudio
midiconfig=

If I change mididevice=coremidi I get no music at all.

I have tried to search but I can't find anything which explains how this feature actually works.

Last edited by kovacs on 2018-11-17, 23:16. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 3, by kovacs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OMG...I figured it out. Posting this for future reference (or for any other Mac dosboxers with SC-55).

It turns out that I had a small app called MusicDeviceHost running. It tends to mess up the audio drivers on my Mac when it sits in the background. When I shut that down, things started to look better.

Here is what worked:

- set mididevice=coremidi in Dosbox prefs
- in the Mac Audio and Midi setup, click IAC midi driver and make sure there is an active port (ie IAC Bus 1)

Apparently, DosBox will then automatically route all Midi to this virtual Midi port.

I then use a piece of software called Qmidi. In the app's Midi settings I set Midi input to "IAC Bus 1" and the Midi output to the Midi outpout port on my audio card ("iConnectAudio4+ DIN" in my case).

I also need to check the "Midi Through" checkbox.

This routes all game midi from Dosbox to my SC-55.

Reply 2 of 3, by kovacs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just posting to update this topic if anyone else shoud need it: the procedure above also works with the Roland MT-32.

It is *so* much easier to get this to work in Scummvm where you get to choose midi output port on the Mac. In Dosbox it is extremely convoluted and the need for internal midi routing to get it to work, feels a bit like rocket science.