VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Synetech

User metadata

Hi,

I've got problem with DOSBox. I installed DOSBox 0.61 then ran it. It started up fine but it immediately started using 100% of the CPU and continued to do so until I ended the program. It uses 100% CPU not matter what, even when it's idle, doing absolutely nothing at the Z:\ prompt. I have not made any changes and it does this. I tried changing the frameskip and cycle settings but that did not fix it.

DOSBox looks to be great but it's completely useless if it uses 100% CPU when idle. I tried running a couple of games and they were terribly slow which is not a surprise since DOSBox is normally putting a full load on the CPU.

Any ideas why it's doing this and how to fix it?

Thanks.

--
FireBox @ Synetech

Reply 1 of 7, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

What kind of computer do you have?
If you computer is not something *really* old and it happens regardles of cycle numbers, then check this:
- do you have any non-USB joystick connected? (throw it away)
- if the above mentioned is not the case, then try to look on Internet for a different version of SDL.DLL. It may help.

Mirek

Reply 2 of 7, by Guest

User metadata

I've got 2 Gravis GamePad Pros connected to a gameport which are great, and if they are the problem, then this is the first issue I've had with any software and them.

However, it does say: Using joystick Microsoft PC-joystick driver with 2 axes and 10 buttons. If it is the gamepads, is there a way to disable them in DOSBox? I really don't want to remove them or uninstall them. Is there a way to configure DOSBox to ignore them?

Reply 3 of 7, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

just remove them It's just for determining the cause.

it could be your video card drivers as well
or many other things

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 4 of 7, by Synetech

User metadata

I disconnected the game pads and it dropped to about 50% usage when idle. I tried playing a couple of games and they were actually playable albeit not great. In fact, playing the games barely increased the CPU usage above the 50% it was using at the DOS prompt.

It's still using quite a bit when idle, that's a problem. Removing the gamepads helped a bit but there's still something wrong. However, I can't just remove the gamepads, I use them for various things all the time (Joytokey). There's obviously a bug that doesn't like gamepads. That should be fixed. Is the gamepad thing a DOSBox issue? I've never had problems with them with ANY other software. I tried a few other SDL games and they didn't use the CPU when idle.

Reply 5 of 7, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

As I said: DOSBOX does not like non-USB joysticks/gamepads etc. This is a well known issue. No way around it at the moment.
Otherwise it seems fine (DOSBOX needs CPU even when just DOS shell is shown).
As for running games: increase the number of cycles, 50% usage means that there is enough free power to do that.

Mirek