VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Anonymouse

User metadata

As far as I can see, the start command wont allow you to specify arguments, i.e. -conf. If you did something like

start /high "c:\dosbox-0.61\dosbox.exe -conf default.conf"

you would get an error because the start command would assume 'dosbox.exe -conf default.conf' is the name of the file to be run. If you tried

start /high c:\dosbox-0.61\dosbox.exe -conf default.conf

it would try to parse -conf as an argument for start and not dosbox.exe and not load the conf file.

Can anyone tell me either the correct syntax of start to get around this problem or the default configuration file that dosbox loads if none is specified?

Reply 1 of 2, by Anonymouse

User metadata

Alright. I figured it out myself after a while, and I'm going to answer my own question in case anybody else puts themself in the same mess.

Lets say I make a file called loadhigh.bat containing the instruction

start /high c:\dosbox-0.61\dosbox.exe

I place this file on the desktop and try to run it, only to find that DOSBox refuses to use anything but the default configuration.

What I realized is that when you run a batch file containing a start instruction, it will use the location of the batch file as the working directory.

DOSBox looked for dosbox.conf in c:/documents and settings/administrator/desktop because that was where the batch file was. Of course, the .conf file was in c:/dosbox-0.61. That was also why I could not get any effect with the -conf argument. It was again looking in the desktop folder.

So, if anybody running win32 wants to run DOSBox in high-priority mode, the batch file must be placed in the DOSBox directory.

If you feel like it, you can sticky this or add it to a FAQ or one of the guide threads. I'm sure somebody else has probably made the same mistake.