VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by winterlight

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi ppl,
I have a disk IMG file that I've been trying to mount. it's 180K and seems to have come from one side of a 5.25 floppy. I'm assuming its the 160K format.

I've been trying to mount it with Windows (7,8,10) and also DOSBOx 074. Widows reports it's a corrupt image. Dosbox will mount it but shows a blank disk (doesn't report correct results though)

Anyone have a mounting solution that might be able to address this?

BTW - the disk image I'm trying to mount is nothing less than the DOS version of MULE (!!!)
I've attached it here: [Edit: attachment removed; do not post copyrighted software here.]

Please help me with this, I'd love to be able to see what it looks like on a PC!

Reply 1 of 7, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

PCem can read that image (but the image is not bootable), so the image is not corrupt.

Keep on mind that some VMs (at least virtualbox) are restricted to some floppy sizes, so your image probably won't work with them.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 4 of 7, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

It's actually a booter, so start it in DOSBox with: BOOT MULE.IMG

It does have a DOS 1.x file system that could be MOUNTed in DOSBox SVN *if* the image is double-sided rather than single-sided.

You should change the machine setting in the conf file to machine=cga for this game.

Also, unless you have permission from the rights holder to distribute the software, do not post it here.

Reply 5 of 7, by winterlight

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thx for moving the post to the right location. Still learning, so thumbs up.

@ripsaw - so if the image is single sided is there a way to mount it? The MULE community folks definitely kept this game alive, along with the DOSbox folks. Some of the DOSbox developers changed dosbox so that the CGA graphics of the game could run without errors. Thumbs up to them too!

Lastly, the M.U.L.E. game has been abandoned for some time. The US PTO shows it to be dead for about 12 years now:
http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/jumpto?f=doc&st … 10:qptxax.2.519
So technically that means the software is public domain.

BIG HUGE RASPBERRY for the grinch who didn't do their homework on that one.
If you could please reverse your error and post that file again it would be much appreciated.

Reply 6 of 7, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

DOSBox SVN won't mount an image that is single-sided when its file system indicates it is double-sided, so again, if you want to mount the image then dump it as double-sided. However, you don't really need to mount the image; just boot it.

Maybe try educating yourself with a simple search on Google for "how long does copyright last". Several decades remain before the earliest PC software begins to exit copyright; the only way around it is for the rights holder to explicitly waive their rights, and not much chance of EA doing that.

Reply 7 of 7, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
winterlight wrote:

The US PTO shows it to be dead for about 12 years now:
http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/jumpto?f=doc&st … 10:qptxax.2.519
So technically that means the software is public domain.

You are incredibly wrong. Even if a trademark expires, copyright remains. Copyright is what determines whether something is in the public domain. Lifetime for copyright in the United States (and many other trade partners) is life of the author + 70 years, and generally longer for a corporation. https://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-duration.html

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto