VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Avenger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been using DOSBOX for a few years now and for the sake of consistency would prefer if I was able to open folders and run executables with spaces in the name.

Is this possible?

I've yet to find a command that works.

Cheers.

Reply 1 of 8, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

You can mount folders with spaces but then you are limited to Dos conform folders and file names

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 8, by Avenger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dominus wrote:

You can mount folders with spaces but then you are limited to Dos conform folders and file names

Alright,

Let's say I want to play a game and the executatble is located in:

C:\Program Files\DOSBox\Games\Terminator\Future Shock\Future Shock.exe

What would the command be to run this without having to eliminate the spaces in the name of the last folder and the executable file?

Reply 3 of 8, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

You cannot. Keep the games as they were and don't add spaces to folders and exe. Dos naming scheme of 8+3 (filename+extension)

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 8, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can't. DOS rules (back in the day) were 8.3 names without special characters (i.e.: dots, spaces).

You can do something like:

mount f "c:\program files\dosbox\games\terminator\future shock\"

So your game directory will be mapped to f drive, but then you would have problems to run that "Future Shock.exe".

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 5 of 8, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Volkov Commander can open directories with spaces. I dont know if Norton also does.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 6 of 8, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

It might not work IN DOSBox as DOSBox won't show the directory with spaces correctly so the directory it want to open might not exist...

Reply 8 of 8, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Yes, because the file name is "future shock.exe" not "future s.exe" or "future~1.exe", so when you enter those the exe is not found.