VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ponyboy

User metadata

Super nubie to DosBox. I installed it to it's own folder. But whenever I click on dosbox.exe it starts to open a box and then closes immediately. (I take it it is trying to open a DOS type command box?).

Is your program trying to connect to the WWW? Other than that I can't think of why the program won't start. Tried it with and without my Firewall. With and wothout Norton AntiVirus.

System:
P4 2.8GHz
1.5Gig RAM
ATI 9700 Pro AGP card
1/2 Terabyte of harddisk space (all NTFS format)
Windows XP Pro

😕 help!

Reply 2 of 12, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Probably OpenGL bug (search forum for more information). Basically DOSBOX 0.61 requires working OpenGL - even when its use is not specified in DOSBOX.CONF.
Try to install different (newer) drivers for your graphic card.

Mirek

Reply 3 of 12, by Guest

User metadata

After trying a little further I moved the Dosbox folder up a level (don't ask me why), so it sits right under my root C:

The program seemed to open a little longer. Still a split second before it closes. It is opening a DOS box with some error messege. I am trying to capture each word as it opens and closes rapidly. So far all I can read it is Loading settings from config..." that is all I can read. Do I have to create a config file first? I see no mention of this in the INSTALL or README files.

The second line of text says "fatal signal..." and that is all I can catch of the second line.

It then also for a split second opens a second window labeled SDL_app and that's it.

Hope that helps.

Reply 6 of 12, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Yes. You are not the first one with this problem. I saw it myself.

Theoretically it can be something different, but with 90% probability it is OpenGL. Just try version 0.60 - 0.60 was without OpenGL.

The next version will not have this bug

Mirek

Reply 10 of 12, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=52551

look here for 0.60 and 0.58

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!