VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by agent_js03

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am wondering, if I have an existing dosbox process running, can I have an external process send a command to that process without me actually typing it in?

Specifically what I am wanting to do is write a script on my Linux box that detects when a cd-rom is inserted, for example, and automatically sends a 'mount' command to dosbox, and similarly sends the unmounts command when the cd-rom is ejected.

I can't find anything in the man page for this, was wondering if anyone knew of any hacks or something.

Reply 1 of 5, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I know on Windows you can have programs that send keystrokes to another program, like Dosbox. For example AutoIt can do that. I'm sure there is something like that on linux as well.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 5, by agent_js03

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Mr. horse wrote:

Why not mount the CD drive to say, /home/dosbox/CDdrive and mount that folder as the D: drive in dosbox?

I mean that's fine, but if I unmount and re-mount that, say if I eject a CD and put in a different one, will it update in dosbox? My experience would tell me no.

Reply 4 of 5, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

with ctrl-F4 it should rescan the mounting but then it's again, how to send keystrokes to Dosbox 😀

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 5, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In Windows at least, if a physical CD drive is mounted in DOSBox, it will detect when the CD is changed without you having to do anything; it's a simple passthrough - if the CD was changed in Windows, it will change inside DOSBox. I think.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys