VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Redlazer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I am trying to set up dosbox joystick controls for Earthsiege.

Confusingly, everything works quite well except for horizontal movement on the right thumbstick, which does not appear to be detected in the Keymapper, or in the game. An online testing utility does show that axis working, however.

When I attempt to reassign the direction as a test, it does not work. I can bind jaxis_0_2+ to any other key, but if I press right or left on the right control stick on my controller, nothing happens.

I'm SO CLOSE to playing this amazing game for real now, please help me figure it out!

Reply 2 of 2, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Redlazer wrote:

Any ideas why the 360 controller doesn't?

Because regular DOSBox doesn't support more than four analog axis. The first two axis are, of course, x and y on the left analog stick. The fourth axis is the y axis of the right analog stick. And now Microsoft messed things up with XInput, by mapping the third axis on the 360 controller to the analog triggers. So the x axis on the right stick would be axis 5, which, as you now know, isn't supported in regular DOSBox.

In DInput, the triggers only work as buttons, not as analog triggers, so the four axis are divided between both analog sticks there, that's why that worked better in this case.

So you can either continue to use this pad, or get my DOSBox ECE build (see my signature), that supports up to ten axis, making both sticks of the 360 controller useable. Bear in mind, though, that many games have a built in limit, so even with another pad or DOSBox ECE you might not always be able to use all analog inputs!

My full-featured DOSBox SVN builds for Windows & Linux: Vanilla DOSBox and DOSBox ECE (Google Drive Mirror)