VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Brace yourselves for another one of those dumb ideas I sometimes have...

Is there somewhere I can modify the rate at which the internal timer ticks? To have it run at some fraction of the "real" host PC timer?

Basically I want to run DOSBox at WAY more cycles than my PC can handle, but not have it trip over itself trying to keep up with the system timer. Essentially making a "smooth slowdown" mode.

In other words, have the DOSBox window still updating at 60FPS but programs running inside the emulation think they're outputting thousands of FPS, because an emulated second is now multiple times longer than a real second. I'd maybe also want to tweak the rate it sends out vblank interrupts accordingly so that the "display" keeps up.

I want to run certain games & demos on an impossibly fast system in slow-mo, to see if I can see interesting things about how they work or draw to the screen... (I am aware that most stuff renders to a back buffer & does a page flip, but I can deal with after I tweak timer as a proof of concept. Even seeing thousands of page flips per "second" might be interesting.)

If there's a "simple" way to do this (i.e. that doesn't involve restructuring the entire codebase), some pointers in the right direction would be appreciated. 😁

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!