VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by NtShadow

User metadata

Hi,

I'm not sure if they are really including DosBox with this package, but since I don't know any other emulator that is able to play this 20 games altogether, I'm assuming that it is DosBox.

This package is being sold in E-bay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt … 8131473336&rd=1

If it is DosBox, is this legal?

Reply 1 of 6, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

interresting. think it's allowed if he mentions were to get the source...

I mean red hat linux and alike come with dosbox as well and those can be bought as well.....

(there you pay for the support and cdrom and booklet )

They do offer the files for free though at their homepage as well.
dunno exactly.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 6, by Zorbid

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sierra being part of the IDSA (old name, I don't remeber the new one) this is certinly illegal.. Distributing old games for free is more or less tolerated by video games companies, but selling them certainly isn't.

Sierra as a team is now gone, but the brand remains the property of Vivendi Universal, and the copyright is still valid.

Furtehermore, Abandonware, even for free, isn't tolrated here at Vogons..

Reply 4 of 6, by NtShadow

User metadata

I dont think it could be sarien, since you have AGI, SCI, and some VGA games.

About the games itself I'm pretty sure it is illegal.

My question was about DosBox. I haven't read the licence agreement, but I guess that if he is making money with it, he surely should be paying something to the DosBox development team.

Reply 5 of 6, by quinn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

DOSbox is GPL-ed-- the only restriction on distribution is that the source must be offered along with the binary at no extra cost. (apart from media costs or the like), and that these same terms be extended to the recipient. There's no restriction or requirement of money changing hands apart from this.

That said, even if they're in compliance with the letter of the GPL, to not credit the Dosbox people would make them a bunch of jerkwads.

Reply 6 of 6, by priestlyboy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's being sold from England which might make it harder for the USA to pin down.
I bet that those are all the Floppy Disk Versions of those games btw. :p.

Ieremiou
----------
Helping Debug DOSBox.