VOGONS

Common searches

speed issue..

Topic actions

First post, by naffgorr

User metadata

Hey..
I have a problem getting dosbox to use all my CPU speed..
No matter how many cycles i set it never goes above 70% usage!
At 3500 cycles the sound seems to work nicely, but graphics dont.
At 13000 cycles the graphic runs smoothly (sorta) but sound doesnt, and the CPU usage never goes above 55%..

I run windowed, with overlay output, no scalers and all other settings are default (i think).
btw, doxbox v0.61

Any ideas why and how to fix..?

my hardware:
p4 3,2ghz prescott
512mb ram
ATI Radeon 9200SE 128mb graphic
Some onboard audio device

Reply 1 of 3, by icemann

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well inregards to loss of sound quality, thats a well known fact with increasing cpu cycles. Theres no real way around it at present.

Two stones, two crosses, the rest is just icing. - 7th Guest

Reply 2 of 3, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The "problem" is that your cpu supports hyperthreading. That means that 1 CPU actually acts (or the operating system sees it) as 2 seperate processors. This means that one signle-threaded application can never use more than 50% (as seen by cpu monitoring programs). Even in real SMP setups it would be hard for 1 single program to use more than 1 cpu 100%, since parts of the program always depend on each other. I'd say this is even more true on a hyperthreading CPU, as you have to remember hyperthreading != dual core (there is only 1 CPU core in your system). So, the usual tips apply here as well: try dynamic core, change output mode, etc...read some other topics about optimizing dosbox speed - and that will be the most you will get out of your system.