VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by kvj

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Games play fine but no sound.
I have a Dell T3500 with Xeon processor and Integrated High-Definition Audio, 24-bit analog-to-digital; 24-bit digital-to-analog stereo conversion (from spec sheet) running Win10 64. Host device manager shows 1) High Definition Audio and 2) NVIDIA High Definition Audio.

I have tried two scenarios. First was running VirtualBox using SB16 emulation running Win98. Audio was fine in Win98 and in Win98 Dos Command Prompt. As soon as I fired up DosBox from Win98, no sound in Win98 or DosBox. Close DosBox, sound returns to Win98. I tweaked the irq= under sound blaster config after double checking device manager settings in Win98 to no avail.
Second scenario, install DosBox on host Win10. No sound in DosBox.

Do I need to install drivers inside DosBox prompt? I found the following audio driver options for XP 32 on dell support:
-Creative Labs Creative PCI Express Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium, v.RC1, A01-00
-Analog Devices ADI 198x Integrated HD Audio Driver

Reply 1 of 2, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Never ever use 9x in Virtualbox
Do not use DOSBox inside Virtualbox or any other emulation or virtualization
Are you using DOSBox 0.74-2?
Are you configuring the games with the proper soundcard settings? DOSBox uses IRQ 7 by default for the SB16 for the most compatibility with most DOS games.
With a few exceptions you don't need soundcard drivers for DOS games in DOSBox. Audio works fine with official DOSBox for host Windows 95-NT4+.
List the games you are trying to get working.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 2, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Also, it may help to get the output of each of the following commands if you run them from the DOSBox prompt (one at a time):

sbtype
mididevice
midiconfig
set blaster

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys