VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Gariounette

User metadata

HI !! 😁

im totaly new on linux ... i use mandrake 8.2 and i would know if there a dosbox for ? or witch one i should DL ..?

Reply 1 of 6, by dougdahl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Essentially you have two choices:
The first (and more likely to work) is to compile from source.
The second is to use the Redhat 9.0 or one of the SUSE rpms and take the BIG chance it will work.
RPM-Basically you'd have to download the rpm then from a command line type "rpm -Uvh nameofrpmhere.rpm --test" (The U is for upgrade, v is for verbose-to state any problems, and the h is for hash-to display hash marks as the install progresses) The --test is simply to try installing the rpm without actually doing it. If you're very lucky you'll just see a bunch of hashmarks something like
"Preparing... ########################################### [100%]"
(But that's for Redhat-Mandrake is likely to be different) Then to install you'd have to run "rpm -Uvh nameofrpmhere.rpm" as root. (There are other ways to install rpms but personally I like this way best)
Much more likely instead it will be missing some file and require that package to be installed. If you try to install that package you'll have to install yet another package or that it would overwrite some package already on your system. (This is what is commonly known as "Dependency Hell")
SOURCE-Most likely you'll have to install from source and it'll go something like this:
Get the source,
find where you want it put,
run "tar -xzvf nameoftargzhere.tar.gz" (eXtract-unZip-Verbose-preserve File structure),
then go into the created directory,
"./configure"
"make"
(and if you want to install it to run from anywhere on your system as opposed to entering the directory where you left it, you'll have to run "make config" as root)
There is supposed to be a frontend for KDE on Linux but I can't remember whether Mandrake uses KDE or GNOME so I can't say if it would be of any use to you and in any case I haven't tried it.
Personally I run Redhat 9 and I usually just use source for dosbox.
(Sorry if I've explained things too much, but I wasn't sure how much you know about Linux yet)

Reply 3 of 6, by dougdahl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

From the download site - http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/download.php?main=1 look for the one labeled "Source" - http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/dosbox/dos … tar.gz?download

To get a console or terminal (essentially the same thing) in Redhat I can right-click an empty portion of the screen and select "New Terminal", otherwise you could try one of the icons at the bottom of the screen, or try looking for either console or terminal in the list of possible commands from whatever menu you have. I'm sorry I can't help anymore as I've never tried Mandrake and don't know what things are called.
Then you'll have to decide what directory you want dosbox placed in and follow my previous instructions.
(from the terminal you may want to try "man COMMANDNAMEHERE" to see what a command does and a real nifty feature is if you type in part of the command or filename and hit TAB the console will try to complete it based on what letters you've typed and if there's more than one option hitting TAB again will show all the potential options)
A few more commands I should mention: "mkdir DIRECTORY" creates DIRECTORY, "cd DIRECTORY" switches into DIRECTORY, "ls" will list the files (with quite a few command-line switches to do various other things), "rm FILE" erases a file, and "rmdir DIRECTORY" removes (an empty) DIRECTORY.

I'm sorry but I don't know what "repertory" means but if you mean the CVS repository I rather think you're better off leaving that alone until you can get the regular dosbox up and running.
(One quick tip when working as root, be very careful what you do-unlike Windows verifying every potentially hazardous command in Linux it is commonly assumed that the user or root knows what they are doing and if they have permission to do so, will obey the command. So root or superuser (in Windows sometimes referred to as Admin or Administator) can do some very dangerous things without the slightest warning. It's best to make sure you know what the command and command-line switches do and make sure you type out the filename and paths correctly. For examply "./" means the current directory and (potentially) all sub-directories but ". /"(note space in middle) means EVERYTHING ON THE COMPUTER.)

Reply 5 of 6, by dougdahl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A place you might want to check out if you have DOS knowledge is http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-HOWTO/DOS-Win- … inux-HOWTO.html It isn't Mandrake specific but it might help. It's more slanted towards operating from the terminal and a bit old but it covers the basics.
By the way for the command for installing dosbox (as root) it isn't "make config" it should be "make install" which shows the importance of verifying commands and why you shouldn't take advice from strangers.
😦