why am i receiving "illegal command"

Thanks for any help
David

Reply 2 of 18, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just tested and get the same behavior; perhaps DOSBox just does not support DOSKey macros.

It does work if I run COMMAND.COM from inside DOSBox (but does not work with 4DOS.COM), so maybe there is some special communication between the command interpreter and DOSKey that enables this functionality?

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 4 of 18, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you have command.com (part of MS-DOS), just run it from inside DOSBox. Then you can use DOSKey and macros normally.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 5 of 18, by mdavid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for your help, still not making progress

At DOSbox prompt:

>COMMAND.COM
>FreeCom version 0.84-PRE2 XMS_Swap [Aug 28 2006 00.29.00]
>DOSKEY c=cls
>DOSKEY Features are already enabled in the shell

How do I create/run macros?

Thanks
David

Reply 6 of 18, by mdavid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK solved, had the wrong COMMAND.COM.
Got the right one from https://www.allbootdisks.com/disk_contents/download/dos.html for DOS 6.22 - size 54KB. Now as dr_st said running command.com then doskey macro works as it should.
Thanks for your help
David

Reply 7 of 18, by mdavid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry - not solved!

Afte I run COMMAND.COM, then dir all files have a size 0. After I exit DOSbox and view files in Windows everything is fine.

Can anyone throw any light on this?

Thanks
David

Reply 8 of 18, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Indeed; this is some incompatibility between DOSBox and DOS 6.22 Command.Com.

I see the same problem (although other than wrong file size reporting most things seem to work); The Command.com of Windows 98 SE does not have this problem.

Maybe it's time you explained what exactly you want to achieve - there may be better ways of doing it natively in DOSBox than messing with DOSKey.

Reply 9 of 18, by mdavid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I'm trying to help some one run his legacy DOS software - not games- in Win7 and above.
There was a problem using the APPEND command with COBOL program data files. DOSbox was the only emulator that the APPEND command worked with these programs.
Now what I'm trying to do is duplicate the doskey options from the original DOS system, for example I want to add macro del=del $* /p to confirm file deletion.
As I say the only reason I'm using DOSbox is because it solves the APPEND command problem, I think a more suitable emulator for what I'm trying to do is vDosPlus.

Thanks for any help
David

Reply 10 of 18, by JosSchaars

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Don’t expect you’ll get anywhere with that problem. Walking the dog in the nearby park turned into an expedition to some bizarre regions of meanwhile three (four?) rainforests, dragging along the degrading corpse of the dog, getting more and more lost.

You’re way beyond help, I at least won’t give it a try, though I reckon finding the solution of the fundamental problem could be real simple. My advice: Forget all you did and assumed so far, reset, and start over from the beginning. Then explain some more (related) details, perhaps someone will so be able to help.

Reply 13 of 18, by mdavid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is this the download http://ykhwong.x-y.net/? - Download DosBox SVN DAUM
Windows installer - setup.
OR this one - https://sourceforge.net/projects/dosbox-svn-lfn/files/ DosBox svn-lfn
Want to be sure we're on the same page.
Thanks
David

Reply 15 of 18, by mdavid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks,
I've now got dosbox.exe and 4 dll's, how do I install? Or do I just drop it into a folder and run dosbox.exe?
Or should I add/replace the files in my DOSBox 0.74-2 folder? - the new DOSBox.exe is 40% smaller

Reply 16 of 18, by mdavid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, Thanks very much, updated with latest SVN and now see the file sizes correctly.
Problem now is with DOSKEY, here's what I did to allow me to confirm deletions.

C:>command.com
C>doskey del=del $* /p
C>cd \sa2000
C>del *.txt
C:\sa2000\FileName.txt Delete (Y/N)?

As soon as I try to enter Y or N DosBox exits.
Before the Status Window closes the last line is:

DOS 0x65: Unhandeled country information call 23

Also after entering command.com the prompt changes to "C>" (see above), on the "Delete (Y/N)?" line the correct prompt returns.

Really need help with this!
Thanks
David

Reply 17 of 18, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The command interpreter from MS-DOS needs a PROMPT environment variable to describe how the prompt should appear. The following command will set up the default prompt appearance: SET PROMPT=$P$G

DOSBox's built-in command interpreter is hardcoded to use the default prompt appearance, and it can't be changed except by modifying the source code.

You're hitting an error exit with that country information thing, so you'll just have to avoid doing what leads to it, or boot real DOS. Please keep in mind that DOSBox is intended for playing DOS games, and in some cases the DOS emulation is only good enough for games and not for other purposes.

Reply 18 of 18, by mdavid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks very much for your reply.
Are you saying I can't use DOSKEY commands that require a response?

I understand that DosBox is for games, the only reason I'm using it is because it's the only emulator that my COBOL progs recognize the APPEND path for data files. I know vDosPlus is more suitable
for legacy software but my COBOL .exe files don't recognize the APPEND path there.
How would I "boot real DOS" on Windows 7?

Any ideas how I can get the APPEND command to work in vDosPlus as it does in DosBox?
Really appreciate any help.
Thanks
David