VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Gatekeeper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A problem I've had for quite some time, though it seems to have gotten slightly more frequent recently (I usually use the latest SVN revision when one is available).

Here's the thing - my emulated Sound Blaster 16 randomly ceases to exist. Games fail to initialize it, some of them even tell me I have no sound card installed. Games that auto-detect sound blaster are most prone to this issue (e.g. Wolf 3D, Blake Stone) - they'd start without any sound/music, and the sound blaster options are not selectable (darkened) in the sound options menu.

The problem is usually solved by restarting DOSBox... but not always. Today it happened three time in a row, sound only reappeared at the fourth run. During all three previous times, the sound blaster simply "did not exist". Trying other games produced the same results - some even refused to start due to looking for an incorrect sound card.

I use the default settings, with one exception - IRQ is changed to 5 (default value is 7) due to an old habit (from the 1990's, when I had a real DOS PC).

If anyone can offer me help with this issue, I'd be very grateful 😀

Don't waste your time, or time will waste you...

Reply 1 of 5, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Should go in the DOSBox forum... Hopefully someone will move it.

CPU speed issues perhaps? What is your system? Which core/cycles are you using in DOSBox?

I also use IRQ=5 in by DOSBox setup, due to the same old habit as yours, and it does not cause any issues.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 2 of 5, by Gatekeeper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry if this is in the wrong section...

Configuration depends on the game. For Wolf 3D, for example, it's usually core=simple and cycles=16000 (or something in the 12000-20000 range).

Host system is Windows 7, 64-bit.

Don't waste your time, or time will waste you...

Reply 3 of 5, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Note that questions involving the use of DOSBox should be in the DOSBox forums.
DOSBox

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 5 of 5, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Compare with DOSBox 0.74-2
Use default dosbox.conf
Provide a list of games.
Provide a way to repeat the issue.

DOSBox defaults to 3,000 cycles for a reason.

The first Soundblaster used IRQ 7 and as with most reasons for why DOSBox does things the way it does it's for compatibility. Since DOSBox doesn't support printing it's not an issue.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline