VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by jez

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm running DOSBox Daum last updated Jan 2015 (I'm not using the official release because I want MT-32 emulation), and Castles 2 looks like this:

castles2-daum.png

... when it should look like this, as it does in normal DOSBox releases:

castles2-normal.png

Does anyone know what might be doing wrong in Daum? I presume it's some video configuration option but I can't figure out what. It only happens in VGA mode; EGA mode displays properly.

== Jez ==

Reply 2 of 13, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just a gentle reminder that Daum is no longer maintained by the original guy and nobody has picked up where he left off. At this stage, it is well behind mainline DOSBox.

In short:

• A lot of the bugs in Daum are unique or have been fixed by mainline DOSBox.
  • Daum is different enough from current mainline that the DOSBox devs won't be able to help you.
  • The original dev doesn't work on Daum anymore, so he won't be able to patch it for you.
  • I'm not aware of anyone else who can either.

If you can do without the Daum exclusive features, you'll have a big advantage in using an up to date release of either mainline DOSBox or one of the currently maintained branches.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 3 of 13, by jez

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'd be happy to if they'd just add MT-32 emulation in mainline DOSBox. I've asked for this on multiple occasions and think it's ridiculous they won't do it. They wouldn't even have to bundle the copyrighted ROM, just make it possible to drop it in.

== Jez ==

Reply 4 of 13, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Plus if you want Munt just use ECE DOSBox. Even standard DOSBox works with stand alone Munt.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 5 of 13, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

It's easy to say something is ridiculous if it isn't your head on the chopping block... snd yeah, installing Munt and using this is a no-brainer. And Munt has evolved so much that the build in on Daum is not something you should mention 😉

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 7 of 13, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Then you must have a Roland MT-32 so why do you want it built into DOSBox? Unless you don't want to cart around the MT-32 with you of course.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 8 of 13, by jez

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Erm, yeah, I don't want to cart it around with me. Or wire it up when I have a whole DOS PC emulator. For that matter, why use DOSBox at all instead of a full-on old PC? 😀

Anyway I tried out the ECE and it does builtin MT-32 emulation nicely. Thanks for the advice @collector.

== Jez ==

Reply 9 of 13, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Good! YP80 is maintainer for this branch. He's a cool guy and he's on this forum, so he'll be able to help you if you find any bugs in the ECE build.
DOSBox ECE (for Windows & Linux)

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 10 of 13, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Even though you are good with ECE, what do you mean with munt and wiring it up being a pain in the ass? Maybe I'm missing something, but you just need to install Munt, point it at the roms and then point Dosbox at Munt

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 12 of 13, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Hmm, it's just a matter of pointing Dosbox at the right midi port. I think it tells you which is which in the console.

Reply 13 of 13, by zirkoni

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

mixer /listmidi
0 Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth
1 MT-32 Synth Emulator

=> dosbox.conf
midiconfig=1

But yes, changing the default MIDI device has no built-in GUI option in Windows 10.

https://youtube.com/@zirkoni42