VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by xRipx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I looked around, I couldn't find this exact problem.

I'm running the latest DOSBox on my Raspberry Pi 3B+, slightly overclocked.

U.S. Navy Fighters, maxed out settings, runs very low FPS, totally unplayable. Maybe 10 FPS. If I reduce settings to lowest, it runs great.

I know that I can increase CPU cycles with ctrl + F12, however my F12 key on my mini usb keyboard requires me press Function + F2. I don't know if that is the reason, but the Ctrl + Fnc + F2 keystroke doesn't seem to do anything.

Is there a different way to increase cycles OR is there some other way to deal with this?

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 3, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

US Navy Fighters has a very slow texture mapper that stressed out all the high-end PCs of its time (e.g. Pentium 100s in Dec 1994, and many systems after that thanks to USNF's higher resolution support). Raspberry Pi 3B+s are not even cut out for it with the ARM dynarec as they'd emulate a 486DX4-100 at best on max. You will not want to play beyond VGA or have textures enabled.

Last edited by leileilol on 2019-04-04, 17:30. Edited 1 time in total.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 3, by krcroft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can also confirm limiting the Janes' games to 320x200 on the Pi3 to sutain playable frame rates.
(I also used cycles fixed at 29,000, the dynrec core, and a profiled optimized build of dosbox svn).