VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Looking over an old thread: Tandy Sound vs Tandy machine

With tandy=on, I still don't get Tandy music in Dune 2 unless I also set machine=tandy - but then of course I get no video, because the game requires VGA.

Are there additional settings required to make tandy=on work, or is the option useless for some or all non-tandy machine= configurations?

Apparently it's possible to put a VGA card in a real Tandy and make it work, so being able to emulate this combo seems appropriate given that there are games that also support it (e.g. Dune 2).

Reply 1 of 3, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Tandy 3-voice emulation problems

Basically, you need to patch the Tandy sound driver to not care about Tandy BIOS signatures, and the linked thread has a link to the patched driver (TANDY.ADV) that you need. A further hurdle is that the driver is stored within Dune 2's SOUND.PAK file, so to help you with that: use a hex editor to modify the bytes at offset C074 from F2 AE to EB 16 (patch details for US floppy version 1.07).

It's the same difficulty faced by people using recently developed Tandy soundcards in non-Tandy systems.

Reply 2 of 3, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks, I'll take a look.

Sounds like it's still ultimately a shortcoming of DOSBox for not being able to emulate a Tandy BIOS with a machine= setting other than Tandy.

Edit: It worked, thanks!

Reply 3 of 3, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HunterZ wrote:

Sounds like it's still ultimately a shortcoming of DOSBox for not being able to emulate a Tandy BIOS with a machine= setting other than Tandy.

Depends on how you look at it, I suppose?
I think it'd make more sense to have a tandy_vga machine. Tandy is the machine, only Tandy machines have a Tandy BIOS.
However, Tandy machines can have other graphics adapters than the stock TGA. So I think the most logical solution would be to disconnect the video adapter from the machine setting.
The machine setting should control what BIOS functionality you have, and the basic chipset configuration (one or two PICs, DMAs etc). Then an (optional?) video setting would control what video adapter(s) you have, much like how the soundcard configuration works.

But yea, in general it's a shame that most Tandy/PCjr games work from the assumption that these hardware features are completely specific to those machines, and nothing ever changes.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/