VOGONS

Common searches

Need help- trying to install a DOSBOX SVN DAUM version that will apparently fix my problem

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by igermi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have debian 8, and I've been running the 32bit version of dosbox.

I only play 2 games on dosbox, one of them "grand prix 2" has an issue with the official version of dosbox. I posted this on a grand prix 2 specific forum and I had received responses that said the SVN DAUM version of dosbox addresses this problem where the game run about 20% faster than normal time.

I have tried adjusting the cycles in the standard dosbox and this does not fix the issue I am having.

It was suggested that I download the SVN DAUM version from this page:

http://ykhwong.x-y.net/

I did so (it was a 7z file). I extracted the file into a directory, and made it executable.

I tried to click on the executable, and nothing happens.

I tried to run it as a script in the terminal with "./dosbox", and I get this error:

user@my-debian-pc:~/Downloads/20150125_32bit$ ./dosbox
./dosbox: error while loading shared libraries: libtbb.so.2: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

Reply 2 of 9, by igermi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
collector wrote:

Daum is *very* old, broken and no longer maintained. Use a newer, supported build.

I spent a full day trying to get this to work, no luck.

I'll use whatever I have to. I have been researching different options but I don't know what to do. I was only asking about DAUM because another person trying to play the same game got it to work that way. I'm sorry.

Reply 3 of 9, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Vanilla Dosbox is the best option for support. Buster (Debian 10) has th latest stable release (0.74-2) although the source build patch can be applied against an SVN source tree to create a more bleeding edge version.

What problems were you having originally with Dosbox?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 4 of 9, by igermi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:

Vanilla Dosbox is the best option for support. Buster (Debian 10) has th latest stable release (0.74-2) although the source build patch can be applied against an SVN source tree to create a more bleeding edge version.

What problems were you having originally with Dosbox?

The game works fine in the "plain jane" version of dosbox with the exception of the time. 1m16s of game time equals 1m of real time in real life. I timed it with my stop watch. My steering wheel and pedals work perfect with the 32 bit version i have been using in linux debian 8.

I have a dual boot, so I installed dosbox ece in windows. I don't know enough about compiling things or any of that in linux (I'm a noob).

Dosbox ece fixes the timing speed issue (1m vs 1m16s) but I can't get my steering wheel and pedals to work in windows. I installed the logitech software from the logitech website (in windows) and it works ok with the logitech calibration software but when I go into my game the steering wheel is SUPER jittery. It's not even noticing the pedals. I can't even find the config file in windows, but setting it to "timed true or false" did not fix the issue in the windows version of DAUM. (I had the same problem with both ECE and DAUM).

I wasted a full day screwing with this and it would be better to offer 50$ via paypal gift to get someone that understands this better just to help me fix it.

Reply 5 of 9, by igermi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:

....the source build patch can be applied against an SVN source tree to create a more bleeding edge version.....

I would have better luck reconfiguring the warp drive on the USS enterprise compared to doing this without step by step help...

I understand "sudo apt-get install firefox" and stuff like that, I'm a real noob when it comes to linux. I just like dos games more than modern games.

Willing to paypal a gift 50$ to whoever can solve these problems for me. Money I have, patience I don't.

Reply 7 of 9, by igermi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dr_st wrote:

If you insist on using the unsupported DAUM build, use one from 2014, which are less broken than the 2015 builds. And of course, you're on your own with that version.

I'm open to suggestions whatever version of dosbox will solve the problem. It does not have to be DAUM.

I tried the "ece" precompiled one for windows and it also solves the timing problem- but it (just like the DAUM) induces the "jittery steering" issue.

Reply 8 of 9, by Ferrari27

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Igermi how did you go? Fellow GP2 player here, have you found out any further information? I am also running standard 0.74 with a conf file I set up myself experimenting with different settings, I believe I have fairly well optimised the conf file. I have shared my file with others who also said they had good performance. But 2 problems always remain, the speed of the game is way too fast, and high PO despite the fast speed of the game. I have never been able to fix these 2 issues and it appears that everyone else has the same problems.

I am nervous to try SVN DAUM, even though many people are reporting good results. There seems to be some kind of controversy around SVN DAUM which seems very strange. Even on the official DOSBOX page they are saying not to use it. Do you have any idea what is going on here? All I care is that I can run GP2 proper speed without high PO. I can play GP4 with full graphics so I'm pretty sure my hardware power is more than enough.

Reply 9 of 9, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Start a new thread with your issue.
Try the game with DOSBox 0.74-3 and the latest SVN.

You can use the Daum version all you want just don't ask for help with it here.

Closed.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline