VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Slaythe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello !

I am running into a problem that I can't find a solution for.

I want to be able to use the scaler feature, to try out what looks best depending on the games I play. (scanlines, rgb, HQ etc...)

Sadly, the scalers don't seem to ever activate. I am also unsure that the "Keep correct aspect ratio" is working either.

I have tried every single output (opengl, surface, ddraw, direct3d etc...), I have tried multiple versions of Dosbox, I have also tried using Dfend in case I wasn't using the (straightforward) conf file properly.

Problem remains the same, no matter what I use, I can launch the game, I can run it in window or fullscreen mode, but none of my graphic options seem to ever be taken into account.

Any help or suggestion ?

Thank you very much. Sorry if I didn't post this in the right section. I'm new.

Reply 1 of 5, by junglemontana

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You can add "forced" to the scaler option to force the scaler to activate. I think the scalers are only used for low resolutions by default.

Also, if your game has a high resolution, some scalers will not activate even with the forced option. There's a hard-coded limit which can be bypassed by patching the code.

See the end of this thread:
DOSBox Feature Request Thread

Output should not matter because these scalers are implemented in software.

Reply 2 of 5, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Otherwise let us know which game you are talking about. There are handful for which the scalers don't activate.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 3 of 5, by Slaythe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Adding "forced" doesn't work. I also tried "original" resolutions as well as setting low resolutions manually. Nothing works.

I am trying to play old school adventure games, mainly 2D, stuff like Orion Burger, Gabriel Knight, Phantasmagoria 2 etc...

Do the scalers only trigger for 3D games maybe ?

Reply 4 of 5, by hail-to-the-ryzen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Slaythe wrote:

...the scalers don't seem to ever activate.

I have tried every single output (opengl, surface, ddraw, direct3d etc...)...

DOSBox does not have a direct3d output. Verify that the official version is used:
https://www.dosbox.com/

Use the default dosbox configuration file (such as dosbox.conf in the dosbox.exe directory) and verify the following settings:
output=surface
scaler=normal2x forced

Alternatively, open dosbox with default settings and enter the following at the dosbox command line:
config -set output=surface
config -get output
config -set scaler=normal2x
config -get scaler

Reply 5 of 5, by Slaythe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hum so apparently the 2x versions work with Gabriel Knight but not the 3x versions.

Orion Burger does work with the "forced" added to it on both 2x and 3x.

I guess that's good enough, thank you.