VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Jimmybigeyes

User metadata

Hi. I'd like to play Master Of Orion I on a machine without a CD-drive, using DosBox. I have tried making an ISO using Nero and a CUE/BIN using CDRWIN. When I try to load these using imgmount, their volume label is
"MPSORIONCD"

This is incorrect, because on the original MOO CD the volume label is "MPSORION_CD" (notice the underscore). MOO will not load because of this error.

I've tried copying the files to a directory and loading that as a CDROM drive with the correct volume label, but this will not work. I can not mount the directory as a CD-ROM and give it the correct volume label (will have "NO_LABEL" no matter what I try).

Any help greatyle appreciated!!!!!!

cheers
gus

Reply 2 of 8, by Jimmybigeyes

User metadata

Yes, I have tried. I can mount it, but when I try mounting it as a CD-ROM the label always is set to NO_LABEL

I use a DOS utility called info.exe that displays size and volume label of all drives to check this, by the way...

I try
mount e: c:\moo -t cdrom -label MPSORION_CD

info.exe now displays something like
drive E: (28mb) 0 bytes free CDROM "NO_LABEL"

Thanks for looking into this
gus

Reply 3 of 8, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

okay let's go through this the proper way.

To diagnose this problem i need the following information:

your os.
info.exe (if not copyrighted please attach)

try also the following label (note the dot):
MPSORION._CD

Last edited by Qbix on 2004-10-03, 12:45. Edited 1 time in total.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 4 of 8, by Jimmybigeyes

User metadata

OK, here it goes. I'm running Windows 2000, and info.exe is located here

http://www.djgentleman.nl/INFO.EXE

I could upload the Nero .ISO of MOO, but that would probably be illegal.

I'd be very grateful if you could show me how to mount a plain directory as a CD-ROM with the volume label set to MPSORION_CD

Cheers
gus

Reply 7 of 8, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

well the -label option does work at my place. ( i noticed the label of Z:\ not showing up. So fixed that).

I'll attach a screenshot as proof.
Therefore it can be a difference between windows and linux.
I noticed some very win32 specific code dealing with the volume label in our caching routines.
Do you have a email addres where i can send a version of dosbox with the specific windows (maybe wrong) code disabled ? (describe your addres else it might fall into spam hands)

The imgmount giving the wrong label is a bit weird. Tried making an iso instead of a cue/bin ?

Attachments

• dosbox_000.png
    Filename
    dosbox_000.png
    File size
    6.43 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 8 of 8, by Jimmybigeyes

User metadata

Ok, weird... You can send it to: gus at stylishVOGONSmedia.com (without the vogons part, then).

I've made an ISO using Nero Express and a CUE/BIN using CDRWin. Both resulted in the wrong volume label (no underscore).
It seems Dosbox/Windows simply dislikes underscores in volume labels or something?

Cheers,
gus