VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by augnober

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just tried out Unreal by Future Crew (the original version I think.. as opposed to 1.1 version). It works at decent speed with sound, with only a few problems in certain parts. It's good to see some demos starting to work nicely.

<edit>
I found the unofficial demo compatibility list here - http://pain.scene.org/service_dosbox.php
and am currently running Second Reality according to the given suggestions... Wow! Running great on a 2GHz laptop... DOSBox is a bit more advanced than I realized.
<another edit> It crashed on me... but in the same place that it sometimes crashed on my P133! Impressive 😉

I should mention that processor-intensive things runmuch better in a window for me than fullscreen.. presumably because DOSBox is doing software scaling?

Edited by mirekluza: I changed the title to be less confusing ...

Reply 1 of 9, by priestlyboy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Unreal Original works quite well on mine but there is one glitch I was having the second aka Vectorballs graphic sequence after the pillar text intro doesn't work. I think it worked a couple versions back but the stuff got messed with during the Graphic Rendering cleanup.
2nd Reality works flawlessly on my computer 😜. GUS or SB. 😁
Also PANIC runs but has graphical glitches.

Ieremiou
----------
Helping Debug DOSBox.

Reply 2 of 9, by augnober

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

2nd Reality crashed for me at the beginning of the vectorball fountain part. I've had it happen on a few of my computers, so I think it's a pretty common thing. I guess it's my luck that it's happening for me in DOSBox as well 😀 I can probably tweak some settings to get it working. I seriously think the crash is quite accurate, rather than being a problem with DOSBox.

Reply 3 of 9, by icemann

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Now just to get it straight. Your not talking about talking about "Unreal" from Epicgames right? I`d be absolutely amazed if that game even ran in dosbox at present. I know it could be run in dos but still.

Two stones, two crosses, the rest is just icing. - 7th Guest

Reply 5 of 9, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
augnober wrote:

2nd Reality crashed for me at the beginning of the vectorball fountain part. I've had it happen on a few of my computers, so I think it's a pretty common thing. I guess it's my luck that it's happening for me in DOSBox as well 😀 I can probably tweak some settings to get it working. I seriously think the crash is quite accurate, rather than being a problem with DOSBox.

you can fix this by putting the demo in directory called real.
(or 4 letters.)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 6 of 9, by Guest

User metadata
icemann wrote:

Now just to get it straight. Your not talking about talking about "Unreal" from Epicgames right? I`d be absolutely amazed if that game even ran in dosbox at present. I know it could be run in dos but still.

As a bit of trivia, Tim Sweeney got the name 'unreal' for his game engine from exactly this demo.

Reply 7 of 9, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anonymous wrote:
icemann wrote:

As a bit of trivia, Tim Sweeney got the name 'unreal' for his game engine from exactly this demo.

Going way off track here... I thought Unreal the original concept came from James Schmalz (now one of the top dogs of Digital Extremes)... It was/is very difficult to seperate exactly who started what and then who did what later 😀

Reply 8 of 9, by priestlyboy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@QBix - I have the demo running in a dir called "2ndreal" and it works flawlessly for me.

Seems to crash (for me at least) on directories that are 2 characters or less in length.

Ieremiou
----------
Helping Debug DOSBox.

Reply 9 of 9, by augnober

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I ran it from C:\REAL and it worked 😀 Thanks QBix. I tend to have a pretty long directory structure, so maybe that broke it somehow.

I'm amazed to see it working all the way through. The sound is a bit choppy for me in most parts (on an AthlonXP-M 2000+ laptop with AC'97 sound and junk video)... but it's nice to see this running in an emulator finally 😀