VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hello.

I have read the docs and searched this forum and i still have a question. Is DirectDraw acceleration better than overlay? What to use in a win32 environment?. For me, everything seems to work: surface, overlay, ddraw and opengl. I have an nVIDIA card with latest drivers. Thanks.

Reply 2 of 6, by iampiti

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

DirectDraw should be better than overlay. Though for some reason, it doesn't work on my GF3 Ti and falls back to surface.

Which SDL.dll are you using?.
It works for me with the one included in 0.62. It fails with another one that is older. So ddraw seems to require a pretty new SDL.

Iampiti

Reply 4 of 6, by priestlyboy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

On my LCD, overlay is the best for graphical crispness with little or no blur.
That's what I see at least. Overlay also looks brighter and more MS-DOS like.

I've tried all the other outputs as DOSBox has been developed and the only one that comes as close to overlay is openglnb. But that can be an even worse resource hog. Ddraw doesn't look bad but I still see Overlay as the number 1 output.

Note: I also have a GeForce 4 Ti 4200.

Ieremiou
----------
Helping Debug DOSBox.

Reply 5 of 6, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
iampiti wrote:

Which SDL.dll are you using?.
It works for me with the one included in 0.62. It fails with another one that is older. So ddraw seems to require a pretty new SDL.

By gum you're right. I got rid of the included lib since it was crashing the keymapper, but this very same lib actually works with the latest CVS. I tried ddraw again with this build and there it works. Thanks for the tip 😀