Common searches

3DFX

Topic actions

First post, by legluondunet

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,
could you tell me what is the best solution to play 3DFX dos games?
Dosbox can simulate a 3DFX graphic card?
Thank you for your help.

Reply 1 of 6, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

The best solution: a real PC with a Voodoo card.
2nd best is Qemmu, I think or PCem perhaps.
Lockstock Dosbox does not yet have 3dfx support. There are patched versions however, but I'm not keeping track which actually do have it.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 6, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Dosbox ECE has it, just don't bother the main Dosbox devs with issues related to it. YP80 will be your prime contact as he maintains the fork.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 3 of 6, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I do commend DOSBOX-ECE for doing a good job of it but I can't help but feel like it's.. let me rephrase, I would rather stick to the official DOSBOX branch as these kinds of heavily patched branches tend to not end well.

For emulating a Voodo PC I've found PCem to be a much better choice, personally.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 5 of 6, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There are but there are very few DOS games that require 3dfx to play the game and for those that offer both options it's debatable if 3dfx is the better option so it's not a high priority compared to supporting all the other DOS games that don't need it.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 6 of 6, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Also "the best" is subjective because there's always at least one that claim that fantasy unlocked timings doing 32-bit color in HD resolutions on a Voodoo Graphics through wrapping wrappers to play crappy 3dfx versions of Blood/Shadow Warrior for example, is "the best way" etc.

apsosig.png
long live PCem