VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Guest

User metadata

Hi,

I use Windows XP. Under the Start Menu, there is a list of programs that I have used recently. All of the entries in the list are expected, given my usage of the corresponding programs... except for dosbox.conf. I haven't used DOSBox in ages. Furthermore, everytime I delete dosbox.conf from the list of recently used programs, it's only a matter of time before it pops up on the list again. I'm not 100% sure, but I think there have been times when dosbox.conf returned to the recent programs list even before I shut down my computer.

I tried uninstalling DOSBox, but dosbox.conf still shows up uninvited. Of course, now it is a broken link because the file does not exist. So my question is: What program/setting in Windows XP keeps calling dosbox.conf, even after uninstalling DOSBox. When I pause over the dosbox.conf link with my mouse, the description that pops up is "C:\WINDOWS\system32". So, I assume that Windows calls the file in the background. This seems to happen around startup, perhaps when I open Windows Explorer for the first time. Also, whenever I play ZDoom, dosbox.conf seems to return as well.

Any help is much appreciated. The broken dosbox.conf link is taking up precious real estate in my recenlty used programs list. :-)

Thanks,
Mike

Reply 1 of 2, by Ja7482

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah that is strange and to be honest if I had not read your post I probably wouldn't have noticed dosbox.conf popping up uninvited to my recent files section of my start menu. The only suggesstion I could offer is make sure dosbox is uninstalled completely which means delete the dosbox folder in windows explorer and check to see if the uninstall program deleted the start menu folder in the "my programs" listing. One time with Dosbox .60 I used the uninstall yet the folder in the start menu did not get deleted.

Reply 2 of 2, by Guest

User metadata

Well, I didn't want to count my chickens before they hatched, so I waited a couple of days to see if the problem was really solved. It appears that Ja7482's suggestion (make sure the DOSBox folder is deleted from the Programs List under the Start Menu) solved the problem. Perhaps DOSBox attempts to remove the folder during the uninstall process, but in my case, I believe I changed the location of the folder after installation, so it would not have been automatically deleted.

One of the items in that Start Menu folder was indeed a link to the DOSBox.conf file. I dunno, maybe Windows scans the Programs List and handles the .conf extension in some unexpected fashion... okay, now I'm grasping at straws. All I know is ever since I deleted the folder, DOSBox.conf has not graced my Recently Used Programs list, so I'm happy. Thanks.

Mike

P.S. Don't get me wrong... DOSBox is a good app. It's just that my short stroll down memory lane with Wolf3D and Spear of Destiny ended quite some time ago. 😀 Perhaps I'll reinstall DOSBox in five years, when I feel like taking another stroll. 😀