VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a bunch of framed A3 picture frames that I would like to use by taking screen captures of dos games using MSI Afterburner's on screen display while in Dosbox to capture shots but games default to 4:3 ratio no matter what custom resolution I put in the config file (full screen and windowed and aspect=false), short explanation I need to add 46 pixels to 1920 pixels to stretch the image capture to fill my A3 picture frame when printed at the shop, if you are interested below is the long explanation.

A3 frame holds pictures the size of 42cm x 29.7cm
using math there would be borders on each side of the frame equal to 1.2cm on each side at 4:3, so to stretch the capture to the full A3:
29.7 / 3 = 9.9
9.9 x 4 = 39.6
42 - 39.6 = 2.4
2.4 / 2 = 1.2, 1.2cm on each side
2.4 % of 1920 = 46.08
1920 + 46 = 1966, so I will need a resolution of 1966x1440 to fill the A3, I have a 16:10 monitor at 2560x1600 and the 4:3 of 2560x1600 is 2133x1600 but there is a slight quality difference in the captures I have done between 1920 and 2133, 1920x1440 was best quality. So after this long explanation how can I make Dosbox do a slightly stretched 4:3 image? Or was all of this a big waste of time because the printing shops can do the stretching for me 😐

Reply 1 of 4, by bregolin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You already know the answer 😀

You should use an image editing software, such as GIMP (Windows and Linux) or Paint .NET (Windows only) to resize the image as you'd like. However, most of the printing shops should do that for you, but if you want to make sure, better to do ir yourself. I have also framed some A3 printings, however I used high resolution scans of game covers, so you might want to reconsider using such low resolutions images for printing A3s (unless you're going for the pixelated look on purpose, of course)

IBM Aptiva 2162 - P55 166 MMX, 32MB, CS4237B + Wavetable, ATI Mach64 2MB / Win98SE
Custom PIII 750, 64MB, SB AWE64, Voodoo 3 3000 AGP / Win98SE
Sony Vaio z505 SuperSlim - PIII 550, 192MB, YMF744, NeoMagic 256AV+ / Win98SE

Reply 2 of 4, by Sune Salminen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
GabrielKnight123 wrote:

games default to 4:3 ratio no matter what custom resolution I put in the config file

I think this is down to settings in your video card driver's control panel. If you have an nvidia card, go to the section labelled "Adjust Desktop Size And Position" and change the scaling settings there.

Resizing as bregolin suggested is probably the easiest way though. But if you're a bit like me, maybe you don't like it when your PC doesn't obey you 🤣

Reply 3 of 4, by cybrasty

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Resizing it would be better in my opinion. However, if you don't know what you are doing I would just ask the print shop to do it for you (as long as it is a proper print shop and not just some copy place).

If you want crisp pixels, I would ask the shop to resize it using "nearest neighbor" algorithm to something around 300dpi before stretching the pixels to A3 ratio.

EDIT: Also, those 46 pixels are onluy 2.4% of the screen. Maybe a better option would be to keep pixels square and just add tiny bars on the side using a dominant color? I think it might be barely noticeable.

Also, if you don't have that many screens to do, feel free to send them my way and I can set them up for printing for you. Just let me know if your printer requires CMYK color scheme.

Reply 4 of 4, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks everyone from what you were saying I will try to keep it without stretching to fill the A3 so it will look as close to the original as possible I will just make the borders black as the frames are black too, the choice I have to make now in the dosbox config is between using opengl which is a bit blurry but looks like it would on a CRT and openglnb which looks pixelated like on a modern LCD in an emulator I will do a test to get a print of both opengl/openglnb and since these will be on a wall at a distance I probably wont notice if they are pixelated and sharp looking compared to a bit blurry.