VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Guest

User metadata

Hello! I find DosBox an extraordinary good program and I have played many games with it. How ever I can't find any option for launching another program within the same DosBox window. Say for instance that I want to launch a trainer or something like that. Is it already possible to do that or will this feature be added in upcoming DosBox versions? Oh. And sorry if I post in the wrong thread.

Reply 1 of 7, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, I don't exactly know what you want to do, but if you were thinking about starting another application (e.g., the trainer) while something is still running (e.g., the game), that will be as impossible as in real dos. dosbox is, after all, a dos emulator - with all it's limitations.

But of course, you get a dos prompt when starting dosbox, so you can run trainers before starting the game. They are used exactly like in real DOS.

Reply 2 of 7, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

@Guest: your post does not make sense. There was not ever any multitasking in normal DOS ... The only way coming a bit closer to it were resident programs (but I would not call that multitasking).
DOSBOX should work exactly as DOS.
There will not ever be any multitasking in DOSBOX (since it was not in DOS - DOS was from the start designed as single user/single task system).

Mirek

Reply 3 of 7, by Guest

User metadata

Hmm... I remember having a program to run more than one task in real dos. Can't recall it's name though. But I was able to play mp3 files and play games at the same time. It was kinda poor in speed though and often the mp3's were lagged. Anyways.. I didn't know that dos box was ment to be as real as dos as possible. Just thought it would be a nice extra feature to be able to run a trainer along with the programs. And/or perhaps other needs for a use of more than one program within the same dos shell. Oh well.. I guess I'll have to keep on dreaming. 😀

It's a great program anyways you know. Hehe.

Reply 4 of 7, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Ehh - what prevents you from starting 2 DOSBox'es???

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 5 of 7, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As I said before, if you know a program which worked on real DOS, it may also work in DosBox. Including that multitasking stuff -- but weren's trainers usually resident programs that popped up with a hotkey? Those are simply started before you run the game itself.

But really, nothing prevents you from running two (or more) DosBoxes at the same time, if you need to.

Reply 7 of 7, by Guest

User metadata

If it's one of the original trainers for the DOS game it's almost always a TSR that you run before the game, same way a lot of the dos exe cracks work. Desqview was one of the programs that was commonly used by people to multitask in dos, but it uses some pretty crazy memory stuff, I think i'll dig out my copy and see if it runs.