VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Jens

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm running the absolutely very best program (i mean: game) that exists for win 3.1 = DeLorme Global Explorer from 1993 (= 430MB, must have been one of the first distributions on CD ever) - in short DGE, a A+++ vector-atlas. Win is under DOSBox on c:\windows. DGE is installed in C:\GLOBALX, it's CD-data is on virtual d:\ (as a drive, not .iso), so far everything works fine.

Now i want to set DGE to start as standard shell = instead of progman.exe with the groups etc. So i changed system.ini from shell=progman.exe to shell=C:\GLOBALX\MAP1.EXE. Autoexec.bat paths are C:\WINDOWS;C:\GLOBALX;D:\ When restarting i get a blank desktop (with wallpaper), DGE shows it's splash-screen + the 'fatal error' 'error reading feature table'. When clicking OK, Windows shuts down clean (with jingle).

I do'nt know what the 'feature table' is, probably DGE is simply not finding some path. But why? Where was it stored before = with progman.exe?

Last edited by Jens on 2019-05-29, 12:45. Edited 7 times in total.

Reply 2 of 3, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jens wrote:

I do'nt know what the 'feature table' is, probably DGE is simply not finding some path. But why? Where was it stored before = with progman.exe?

I'm sorry, I don't know. I found what seems to be some game's or CD cover's database, though. It lists the program
and has some screenshots of it on the scan of the backside of the jewel case.. Unfortunately, the text is all cyrilic. 🙁

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 3, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Looks like the game can't find it's files because the working directory is different.

Try:
cd c:\GLOBALX
win MAP1.EXE

Automate exiting of Windows 3.1 post-EXE launch

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline