VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by WhiteCloudBoy00

User metadata

I got this error. BGI Error: Graphics not initialized (use 'initgraph')

Normally I'd post some more information but that's all I've got. I found another post like this one, about a mechanic and a car or something.

At any rate, the program I'm running is a piece of junk I compiled it in high school on a Borland Compiler (duh BGI). The program worked then.

Now I'm running Win XP and God knows nothing older than 3 years is guaranteed to work on this damned thing. I pulled this program out of the closet so to speak, and can't get it past this error. Any thoughts?

Every post in these forums seems so individually related to certain games or program. Is there no general solution?

...I did find one other post, about a game called Lightning Red something or other, about turning Read Only off. None of the files have this enabled.

Thanks much.

Reply 1 of 5, by jal

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
WhiteCloudBoy00 wrote:

I got this error. BGI Error: Graphics not initialized (use 'initgraph')

Questions:
1) Which version did you use? 0.61 or 0.62?
2) Does it work when running in the WinXP dosbox (cmd.exe or command.com)?
3) What DOSbox setting do you use for graphics ("[dosbox]" / "machine=")?

The BGI-error appears when the video hardware couldn't be properly initialized, if I recall correctly, so this might have someting to do with the machine-setting.

JAL

Reply 2 of 5, by WhiteCloudBoy00

User metadata

Thanks for the reply.

1. I am using the current version .62.

2. When using WinXp's cmd.exe or command.com I get the same error: "BGI Error: Graphics not initialized (use 'initgraph')"

3. I have tried all the -machine options ( hercules, tandy, cga, and vga ) each seems slightly different in appearance (as expected), but each continues to give the same BGI error.

So problem not solved. Hope this answers your questions. Again thanks.