VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by KingMucus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Dear all,

I've been playing with New Horizons under DosBox for a while and now am beginning to tweak my keymapper settings. As the game uses the numpad for controls and I can't press 6 and 2 at the same time to make the ship move on the diagonal—keypad 3 is the only possibility for moving Southeast, for example—, I would like to make DosBox interpret a simultaneous pressing on the right and down joystick buttons as the same thing as pressing button 3, and not simply as pressing keys 2 and 6 at the same time on the numpad.

Is such configuration possible? I tried searching on the internet and the Wiki and found no answer at all.

Regards,
KingMucus

Reply 1 of 2, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think you'd need to use the mod keys.
For example assign joystick left to mod2 and joystick right to mod3, then the following combos for each diagonal:
numpad 1: joystick down+mod2
numpad 3: joystick down+mod3
numpad 7: joystick up+mod2
numpad 9: joystick up+mod3

Note that by default mod2 is used by some other mappings, you might want to remove/reassign those so you don't trigger them by accident.

Reply 2 of 2, by KingMucus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The problem with the mod keys is that they must be pressed before the mapped key for the event to be interpreted. E.g., we must press ctrl before F1 in order to summon the keymapper app—it won't work if we press F1 and then ctrl.

I'm editing the keymapper file manually and will check if assigning events to mod_4, mod_5 and so on works. If it does, I could assign the directional buttons to mod_x and be happy.

Nonetheless, this simultaneous keys mapping would be a nice addition to DOSBox, if any of the developers would be willing to implement it.

Thank you very much for your attention.