VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is it possible to boot from a hard drive image and mount a CD image at the same time? I have DOS 6.22 installed on a hard drive image and would like to mount an ISO as a CD when DOSBox is booted to 6.22. I have been able to mount a floppy image as my A: drive when booted from the C: image, but not a CD. It won't load the CD-ROM drivers. I get this error during the loading of the autoexec.bat --

ERROR: Unable to detect ATAPI IDE CD-ROM drive.
ATAPI IDE CD-ROM device driver not loaded.

Reply 1 of 12, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You don't have to load any driver to mount the image. Dosbox emulates all calls, so you don't need to load MSCDEX driver. In fact, you can't load any .SYS driver on dosbox.

Read the README file... there are some switches in mount for emulating cdrom, setting the volume label, and the access method.[/b]

Reply 2 of 12, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is NOT DOSBox's emulated DOS. This is after booting a hard drive image. *IMAGEMOUNT* with an image of DOS 6.22. Read the first post again. After you boot an image, DOSBox no longer has access to the host system's files.

Reply 3 of 12, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry, I'm spanish and I didn't understand your post too well. In fact, I have some doubts about what are you trying to do.

- Are you trying to boot a HD image or are you trying to boot a CD-ROM with DosBox? If you're trying the first, DosBox emulates DOS, no need to boot any HD image... you can mount any folder. If you're trying to boot a CD-ROM... Why don't you try to boot your CD from the BIOS?

- Are you trying to boot a DOS partition and load your CD-ROM drivers? You must load a .SYS driver on your config.sys and then start MSCDEX on your autoexec.bat. Get the attachment, and you will get a CD driver (generic, your CD may not work with it).

Your config sys:
<stuff>
DEVICE=VIDE-CDD.SYS /D:CDROM
<more stuff>

You may add some switches... read the readme file.

Your autoexec.bat
<even more stuff>
MSCDEX /D:CDROM
<some last minute stuff>

You can choose the word in italic (to identify your drives) but both words must be the same. Also, if you need to install two drives, you must add two lines per file.

- Are you trying to work with a SCSI or SATA drive? Most drivers in internet are ATAPI or IDE drivers... SCSI drives need their own drivers. I don't know if an ATAPI driver can work with a SATA drive... Also some drivers don't understand very well some things like UltraDMA or PIO modes.

Attachments

• Filename
    cdrom.rar
    File size
    8.73 KiB
    Downloads
    365 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 4 of 12, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

He is booting DOSBOX from a disc image (support was added in DOSBOX 0.62: see README command BOOT). It has sense to do it sometimes (it is more compatible, it is possible to load devices etc).
As for the problem: I do not know, it has been some time since I used disc images...

Mirek

Reply 6 of 12, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What I am trying to do is run Lost in Time. Even though the game is in the game list for DOSBox, it has problems. The audio is a CD audio track on the CD. I think that some of the timing of the cut scenes is based on this track. VDMS with sapucdex gererally works better than DOSBox, but, still there are some points that you simply cannot get past.

It works OK in real DOS with MSCDEX, but of course, no drivers for my sound card. I wanted to try running it in MS-DOS 6.22 in the new DOSBox, but I need the game to see the CD or an image of the CD.

Reply 7 of 12, by prompt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Did you verify, that the image is correct?
If you use the built-in dos of dosbox, does the cd audio actually play? (Did you mount the cue-file and not the bin-file?)
Does the game work correct, if you use the real cdrom?
If you answer three times with yes, could you post the cue-file?

Reply 8 of 12, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The image will load in a regular DOSBox session, but will not be there after booting the MS DOS 6.22. The DATA track shows up and the game will run in the built-in DOS, but the sound is out of sync. Running the game in DOSBox with the real CD throws the cutscene timing off and there is at least one scene that locks up in both DOSBox and VDMS. This scene only works in real DOS.

Reply 10 of 12, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I suspect that the problem with this game is with the lack of MSCDEX. I think that the cutscenes are timed to the Redbook audio. In VDMS with the "Enable low-level CD-ROM support" box checked, the game does not work at all. If you run the game with SAPUCDEX set in VDMS, the game basically works right, but still has at least one bug that you cannot get around. In DOSBox the cut scenes just fly past as the audio plays on.

I just wanted to experiment with this game in real DOS in DOSBox, but I can't get any CD when I image boot to DOS 6.22, I can only get a c: drive and a floppy.

Reply 11 of 12, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

"This patch will fix problems that occur in conjunction with certain
sound cards and CD ROM drives."

I wonder what's so specific about dosbox's emulated sound card and cdrom 😉 But it plays movies properly. But makes a lot of 1-second freezes while moving the mouse and turning around. So the best way is to use it only for watching movies 😉

Attachments

• Filename
    litcd-patch.rar
    File size
    100.42 KiB
    Downloads
    240 downloads
    File comment
    Lost in Time CD patch
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 12 of 12, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I know of that patch, but it locks up the game for me, DOSBox and VDMS. I mostly just want to have a CD-ROM after an booting an image of DOS 6.22.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers