VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Tricia McMillan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello! New day - new challenge:

I'm trying to set up an authentic, 100% clean DOSBox-Win 3.1 with lots of apps, avi- and mpeg-video etc. = everything that was or became popular until +/-1995, limited to 16bit. This includes several DOSes, what leads to my question:

EGA or VGA full-screen DOSes arn't really beautiful, thus I want to run them in a window. No matter what settings I try in pif-manager, I end up with a crashed 3.1, showing a disorted screen and the cut-off error-message "this app can't run in a wi..."

My prefered Win resolution is 1024x768, i've tried 256 colours (Tseng ET4000) and 64K (vesa_nolfb S3 SVGA).

If I remember right, my "real" 3.1, back in 199x, behaved all the same way, but that was with less = 1MB or so video RAM. Maybe there is some simple DOSBox setting I haven't thougt of...?

I'm lking fr sme sftware that extracts the ""-buttn f my keybard frm the dustbag f my vacuum-cleaner...

Reply 1 of 3, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I think something was fixed for the dos prompt inside Windows 3.x. But you may need to run a SVN version of Dosbox.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 3, by Tricia McMillan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oops, i thought my concern was something simple, like "use this switch" ... I've surfed the SVN-wiki but it's far too technical for me ("&a$b+lgµ*§^d#!"), still no idea which SVN version to use and / or where to find it.

By the way, is'nt there any *modern* DOSBox resolution? I'd *love* to see my (unstretched) Win 3.1 in 1280x800 = without black bars...

I'm lking fr sme sftware that extracts the ""-buttn f my keybard frm the dustbag f my vacuum-cleaner...

Reply 3 of 3, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Use the first one listed (svn).

As for black borders: it's always sonething to tinker with aspect, windowresolution, output and scaler

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper