VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Merchito

User metadata

Hi!
I have installed the last DOSbox, no problem.
I mount c: correctly, no problem DOSbox recognise the pseudo-drive's path (mount c c:\DOSgames) - Then I type c: and it's okay.

Now, I can't run any game and I have tried several (Martian dreams, Ultima stygian Abyss, Ultima VI & Ultima IV).

- If I type a wrong path on purpose of testing, the DOSbox recognize an error (like c:\>anycrap\testfailure.exe)
- Then if I type a correct path (like c:\>UltimaUnderworld\UW.exe) there is no reaction from the DOSbox. It simply goes next line, with an insulting C:> at the beginning. Since it doesn't signal an error like when I type a non-existing path to a non-existing file, I think it finds the .exe (or .bat or .com) all right. Simply, nothing happens nothing.

Any clue, please ?

(Note: I am running winXP)

Reply 2 of 7, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
Merchito wrote:

- Then if I type a correct path (like c:\>UltimaUnderworld\UW.exe)

This can never be a correct path. DOS allows only 8 characters for name and 3 for extension. "UltimaUnderworld" has 16 characters. Remember, you are no longer in Windows!

Mirek

Reply 3 of 7, by Guest

User metadata

You can access them in dosbox without having to rename your files, it works the same way long as the dos shell in Windows 9x, the ~1 extension.

First it removes any spaces in the name, it then displays the first six characters, followed by a ~1, ~2, ~3, etc. the ~2 would be the second file/folder to match, for instance if I had Hello World.src and Hello Wally.src in windows Xp, they would show as HELLOW~1.src and HELLOW~2.SRC in dos/Dosbox

Reply 4 of 7, by Guest

User metadata

Thanks for your answer.
Sorry, but I used the folder's name "UlitmaUnderworld" only in this post. In fact, I named all the folders with a short name (for faster typing in the box). For example, the real name of the folder I created for Ultima Underworld ws UW. The path was c:\>UW\UW.exe

Sorry to have been inaccurate on this matter. And thanks for the information, I was not aware of the limited length off words used in dos, anyway.