VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by TorchPR

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey there, I just recently discovered DOSBox and am loving it. I have played a few games and was wanting to play Jagged Alliance - Deadly Games with my brother. I read through the guides on how to do this but can't get it to work. Sorry if I sound like a newb but does the IPX Tunneling actually work as a real network? My brother is in the next room we're hooked through a linksys hub. I have been able to start the IPXNET server in one DOSBox window, then I can open another and connect to it, but its on the same computer. When I try to connect to the IPXNET server on my computer from my brother's it just says that it failed to connect. Does anyone know how to solve this problem?

Reply 1 of 2, by Guest

User metadata

The IPX feature, just like the modem and serial cables ones do, fakes the game into thinking you have IPX.

After all, DOSBox is an emulator. It's just like how a Nintendo emulator fakes games into thinking you really have a Nintendo joystick plugged in your computer, but then uses standard keyboard.

Maybe they should really call these things "Fake IPX", etc. to stop these endless questions ("can I use my real 1990's modem?!")...

The IPX feature really uses standard TCP/IP.

If you have a firewall, you must approve its
2 ports or DOSBox itself.
For example, XP SP2's built in firewall would automatically ask you to unblock DOSBox itself once you launch "ipxnet" for the first time.