VOGONS

Common searches

DOSBox does not have imgmake command

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by TECH198

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi..I'm trying to get Darkseed 2 running but the problem is, i've seen reports of people getting it to fully work under Windows 95..

While have successfully got Windows 3.11 installed under DosBox, I am stuck on Windows 95... The only difference i can see if "imgmake" is required on Windows 95 install where as Windows 3.11 just used disk and its fine..

Since both are based on MS-Dos anyway, why the difference ? Since Imgmake is not part of DosBox (at least when I run it I get "illegal command") how can i get past this ? Using DosBox 0.7.4 under Windows XP

Reply 1 of 6, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

1. Windows 95 is not supported in DOSBox
2. Windows 95 makes changes to the hard drive it is installed to, and thus you need a disk image
3. you don't need imgmake, just a disk image
4. there are better solutions to run Windows 9x than DOSBox

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 6, by TECH198

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dominus wrote:
1. Windows 95 is not supported in DOSBox 2. Windows 95 makes changes to the hard drive it is installed to, and thus you need a […]
Show full quote

1. Windows 95 is not supported in DOSBox
2. Windows 95 makes changes to the hard drive it is installed to, and thus you need a disk image
3. you don't need imgmake, just a disk image
4. there are better solutions to run Windows 9x than DOSBox

I know there are better ways to run Windows than DoxBox, but with DosBox you get to it's much eaiser an an OS you alreay have installed than uisng VMWare Fusion just for this..

You said don't use imgmake (well because eits not there),, but use a disc image (easier said than done)... Most just create an image from a physical disc, NOT a blank image. (which is what i need)

How i do this from Dosbox if i can't create the image with DosBox in the first place ?

The problem with other image creators,is they only make in image from a physical hard drive only. but i would of thought Dosbox could have done this.. There is plenty of videos around climaing possibility, yet it doesn't work.

Youtube link; https://youtu.be/cPq3_m5MGAI?t=250
https://imgur.com/a/jIDsaT1

The above URL is mine i uploaded..

If this is no longer possible, then how are others doing it?

Reply 3 of 6, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Because the whole "win95 supported in dosbox!!! here's video proof!!! please like and subscribe" are the blind leading the blind. What was once morbid curiosity here, have spun way out of control elsewhere...

Also making disk images is beyond DOSBox's scope anyway. Use qemu-img instead.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 6, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

TECH198: The guy in that video is clearly using old, no longer maintained and here unsupported unofficial version of DOSBox. I really don't know, what you're expecting from us...

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 5 of 6, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've used an old copy of Win95 in DOSBox years ago, long before before PCem/86Box existed. When 0.63 was current or so.
Looking back, however, the experience was far from being stable, as far as I can tell.
What worked "ok" (for its time) for one release of Win95, say "95 RTM, didn't for another (A,B,C)..

In these modern days, I'd strongely recommend using PCem/86Box, UniPCEmu, or QEMU/KQEMU or Bochs instead.
Or Virtual PC 2007 with patches. It also has VM additions for Win9x, making things much easier.

Also making disk images is beyond DOSBox's scope anyway. Use qemu-img instead.

Good tip. I used bximage.exe back then, if my memory serves, since I heard about it first.
But I used an image mainly to get MS-DOS 6.x, Minix and other little DOS-like OSes running in DOSBox.
Edit: I also used WinImage 6.x (?) to examine and alter disk images.

And Windows 3.11, too, with full hard disk support (FastDisk, permanent swap file etc.).
That way, I also got Win32s working first time.
Today, DOSBox does this stuff fine without MS-DOS, though. 😀

Edit: Typo fixed.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//