VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Guest

User metadata

when making a game compatibility entry, is it ok to use a cracked version of the game to make it.. if so should you state that?
its just that sometimes the cracks can make it look like dosbox is buggy, when in fact its more a case of its only buggy with the CRACK.. and the original game wouldnt have the same problem.
(see my entry today for darkseed ... i thought it was bugged, but it was a bug with the crack - which i suppose is still interesting to WHY it happened in dosbox)
some of us have copies of the old cd games... but old floppy games will have had bitrot by now - so even legit owners have to use cracks.

Reply 1 of 1, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

IMHO any version can be used (my guess is that most of people use abandonware anyway), but it is good to state it there (but not put there any link where to get the craked game there !!!).

Apart from wrong cracks, there is also problem with CD checking of original games (which is of course no problem with cracked versions - but the owner of the original CD then wonders why it does not work for him).

Mirek