VOGONS

Common searches

Copy command

Topic actions

First post, by Ko de Groot

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I installed a old bookkeepingprogram and it works. The problem is the copy command.
When I worked with IBMDOS on my old computer I simply typed in the customername like
COPY IGNX17*.* IGNA17*.* /v Where the first name is the basic and the second name a copy.
I use the copy to book all records and to see my mistakes and to get the questions for my customer.
I can put this information in WP51 and print them. It works very well.
The copy command copied 82 files. The first 6 positions are the name of the customer. For
example IGNX17VV.DAT and IGNX17VV.DIA and IGNX17VV.IX. It is like the DOS structure.
The first 6 positions are the same (name of the customer), the next 2 are different and behind the . (point) different too.
Is it possible to use in DOSBOX the copy command the same as in IBMDOS. I tried the copy command and it says that it
copied 82 files but I don't see them. Why ?

Reply 1 of 8, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Yeah we don't support this construct yet.
It's not very often used in gaming, which is our main target.

the 82 files were all copied to the same filename.

It might not be too hard to add though.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 3 of 8, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

FWIW, even in gaming (which is all I use DOSBox for), I sometimes find advanced wildcard constructs for COPY/MOVe useful, e.g., in batch which automatically backup/restore saved games or switch mission packs before launching the game. If it's not too hard to add, I'd enjoy seeing such constructs in DOSBox.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 4 of 8, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
Ko de Groot wrote:

To add after the first 6 positions of a filename the 2 and (point) 2 or 3 positions is impossible.
Is it not possible to change the copy command that it will work ?

yes, but we have to code that first. Currently it is missing.

Reply 6 of 8, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

think you can use 4DOS under dosbox. that one probably has a more complete copy command as well. Maybe search for how to do that

Reply 7 of 8, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Qbix wrote:

Yeah we don't support this construct yet.
It's not very often used in gaming, which is our main target.

The Police Quest collection dos installer is an example of a broken game, since it relies on this copy wildcard behaviour.

Reply 8 of 8, by Ko de Groot

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

To solve the problem to copy more then one filename to another filename. I explained earlier what the problem is I have.
Go in W 10 Pro to CMD. Go to the folder where the files are.
Type in COPY IGNX17*.* IGNA17*.* /v
This will copy 82 files to the new name and will leave the position 7 and 8 and the 2 or 3 positions behind the dot untouched.