VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Guest

User metadata

what are the best values for CPU Cycles , CPU core on Athlon XP 2000+ processor, because doom2 is kinda slow on CPU Cycles 5000 and core dynamic, i dodn't want to test it myself because there is a notice about it that too high values may broke CPU. And also what render method is best for efficiency on GF2 MX 400 64 MB graphics card ? now i'm using overlay and scale none. would be gratefull for any answers and sorry for my english :E

Reply 1 of 8, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

DOSBox will most definitely not break your CPU...infact even if it wanted to it couldn't 😁. So feel free to test as much as you like. You have probably misread the readme - increasing the cycles will only help until the point where you CPU is working at it's maximum. After that the speed will not increase anymore. I'd recommend somewhere around 15.000 to 20.000 cycles for Doom2.

Reply 5 of 8, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Oh... Developers did not think that anybody will take that "bad" so seriously....

"Bad" here means that if you use 1000000 cycles DOSBOX will not be quick as a cheetah, but slow as dying snail, because there is no computer in existence which could handle such speed... Nothing more....

There is not any known way how DOSBOX could destroy your computer, so you can experiment as you want. 😀

Mirek

Reply 6 of 8, by Spotted Cheetah

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think a good setting for you as i set up DOSBox for a PC with somewhat similar alibities would be 18000 emulated cycles and 2 for frameskip. Frameskip will not really hurt as it skips from 70Hz (in 320x200, 256 colors), so by setting it to 2 you will get at around 23FPS which is enough. Troubles might rise if the game uses the 18,2 HZ clock for updating since then this two rates really interfere causing jerky motion (This is more true at 60Hz modes like 640x480 or 320x240 where you would get 20FPS). Then set it to 1 resulting in 35FPS what will "filter" the interference out better (but will ask more from the CPU).

Left this dictatoric junk. No. IV.

Reply 7 of 8, by Lofty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You're probably better off with a Doom source port anyway. There are plenty around for windows and probably a few for other O/Ses as well. A source port will run much faster/smoother than emulating the original dos version of Doom, and many source ports offer optional enhancements like high resolution graphics as well. Doom Legacy and Doomsday are probably two of the most popular ones for Windows.

Reply 8 of 8, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Lofty, both are available for Linux as well. As fas as I can see, Doomsday focuses more on good appearance (that's why I use it) while DL provides lots of features for level designers.