Common searches

Adlib To Midi

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 25, by tpowell.ca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, so now we are splitting hairs.

If people find that the YMF7xxx or the CT1747 sound completely different, so be it.
Personally, I'm satisfied with either since they fit the bill of providing a true Yamaha synth for different applications.

As for the sound output, the OPL chips themselves don't even output analog audio, they all go through a YAV516 or equivalent. Its this chip and everything after it that colour the sound in some particular way.
At least that is my understanding.

• Merlin: MS-4144, AMD5x86-160 32MB, 16GB CF, ZIP100, Orpheus, GUS, S3 VirgeGX 2MB
    Tesla: GA-6BXC, VIA C3 Ezra-T, 256MB, 120GB SATA, YMF744, GUSpnp, Quadro2
    Newton: K6XV3+/66, AMD K6-III+500, 256MB, 32GB SSD, AWE32, Voodoo3

Reply 21 of 25, by anonyme-x22

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

@Scali: you're right, that's why i corrected my post.
@tpowell.ca:
Nothing to do with the original which can be found on most SB16 thanks to @Scali
Some people are satified with mp3 too.
Yes and not, try to do full midi fm with them.
Yes and not, the YAV516 for some card and another for other, + the output design.
In fact, the less complex, the most accurate sound, adlib/SB 1.5(for the fm part) = a chip + a dac + a mini poweramp (Nothing more)

Rgds,

Reply 23 of 25, by anonyme-x22

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

After some try with the tx81z:
The sound is very close to what i can hear on emulators but more soft.
Didn't have a real adlib card, but it seems also that the reel hardware is softer than emulators and everything after the sb pro 2. (I cannot really compare)
I can have quite the same harder than the emulators by increasing a little the feedback.
The bad news is that the envelope isn't the same as the tx81z. (more complex, and fine)
I'm starting a mathematical translation table for translating adlib patch to the tx81z, but the envelope is an issue.
Also, you need at least two unit, because it cannot reallocate the voices like the adlib and even if you shut off the unused operators, you can't gain more voices.
At least, it can only store 32 user sounds, in the tracker area, it seems that 32 sounds at a time is the max, but in game even if for example lemmings seems to use 4 to 8 instruments per song, the bank is about 84 sounds. (Lot are the same)
it's seems that it's possible to change the sound configuration in real time on the adlib. The tx81z allow this but for one sound at a time, i could possibly do it for all the sound by modifying directly the user sound area, but it's not the common use of the synth.

Conclusion: it's not possible the emulate the adlib automatically, but manually with this one. I think that the sy-77 is more able to do it automatically, but haven't tested.

Rgds,

Reply 24 of 25, by anonyme-x22

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

https://youtu.be/DqJJMxXodc4

And:

https://youtu.be/JxLt9n2ZHLs 😀

Have a good day,
Rgds,

PS: please note that, the device need service, sound not accurate, will reupload them as sound as i get the device revised.