VOGONS

Common searches

performance problems @ Athlon 64

Topic actions

First post, by BaBaUTZ

User metadata

Hello,

A friend of mine owns an Athlon 64 3200+ with 512 mb memory, a Radeon 9800pro 128mb and windows xp

Everytime he starts dosbox his cpu usage goes up to 100% (in window and fullscreen mode), even if the cpu cycles are set to 3000 or less .... games are unplayable

On my Athlon xp 2800+ i'm able to play games with 19000 cycles without any problems, and the cpu usage is about 30 % when i start the emulator ... could the activated "cool n' quite" feature be the reason for this problem? ... he has exactly the same config as me (overlay= surface, etc. ... nothing special)

Reply 1 of 25, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

interresting is he able to operate dosbox at all. ? I mean can something be typed in the shell and can games be started (disregarding the fact that they run very slow ?)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 3 of 25, by BaBaUTZ

User metadata

a further strange thing is, that he can normally use windows functions (icq, voice chat over teamspeak, etc.) when dosbox runs in background, allthough he has the mentioned 100 % cpu usage ... i guessed, that for some reason, cool n' quite dont recognize the cpu usage and the clock stays at the lowest possible level ... but even with 1000 mhz or less, 100% would be to high imo

Reply 7 of 25, by Possum_Vashti

User metadata

I am getting very angry.

Athlon XP 2400+
256MB pc2700
On-board ProSavage8 DDR

Same Problem for weeks. Cpu is at 100% when dosbox starts, i can type into the console, mount directory's, even load ultima VII but my cpu temp reaches 60 C after a few minutes. Have not touched the DOSBox.conf but it is the same even at 5 cpu cycles a second. WHAT THE?

This seems to be common with most new AMD cpu's. I have not seen any problems mentioned with older Athlon & Duron cpu's. I will try under Win98SE and see if that works.

Cheers, Hugh.

Reply 10 of 25, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

@WatcherZero: No 16-bit code is ever executed by the host system.
You can disable Cool'n'Quiet in the system BIOS to have the CPU always run at its top clock speed. Turn that off and see what happens.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 11 of 25, by Guest

User metadata

My config is also Athlon 64 3400+ (altough with 1GB ram 😁 ) , graphics Asus V3800 (a little bit old) and I have it running on 21000 cycles, where the cpu stays stable on about 17% load. Presently running Crusader No Regret.
I would target the graphics driver rather than DosBox . Or elsewhere.
Have fun

Reply 14 of 25, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My experience with DOSBox on my Opteron box is that I was getting periodic slow downs while running it. Every few minutes any game I was running in DOSBox would grind to a crawl for a few seconds. This problem has since gone away, don't know what changed. On a side note, I am dual booting XP and the public beta of XP 64 bit edition. I can run one game in DOSBox in XP and it uses about 45% of CPU cycles on the first CPU and none on the 2nd. In 64 bit Windows the same game with the same DOSBox config settings uses about 15% the 2nd CPU and none of the 1st CPU. I suppose that difference could be drivers, but ATI is not seen as having very good 64 bit drivers out, yet.

Reply 16 of 25, by rtn

User metadata

I have a asus k8ne-deluxe mobo, amd athlon64 3000 cpu, 512M ddr400 mememory, winxp home sp2
Dos box uses 100% cpu at 3300 cycles/milisec.
I discovered that when i switch the computer to standby and then wake up the computer by moving the mouse or touching the keyboard,i can easely set the dosbox cycles to 14000 and the cpu uses about 50%.
In other words; dosbox works excellent after the computer has been in standby mode.
What changes after been in standby i don't know, but is works fine too me.

When using dosbox i always close cool & quiet (asus smart doctor) because sometimes this utility gives false errors about gpu temperature or wrong voltages.

good luck........

Reply 17 of 25, by Erzengel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had the same problem on my ACER Aspire 1501 Notebook with Radeon 9600 Mobile.

It happenend after i replaced the ATI driver supplied by ACER with the recent ATI OMEGA Drivers.

-> 100% CPU at startup of Dosbox. 😕

After i switched back to the original drivers the problem was gone.
😏

Try replacing your graphics card drivers or changing output mode in Doxbox (as mentioned above).

Reply 18 of 25, by Guest

User metadata

Problem:
Dosbox (0.63) takes up 100% resources. Dosbox started
with default settings (Cycles=3000, Output=Surface.
Gus=diabled, EMS=disabled)

System:
Linux (Fedora Core 2, kernel=2.6.9)
Athlon XP 2000+, 512MB, Geforce FX5200
mobo=Asus A7N266VM

When tested with WinXP on the same hardware, Dosbox never
went past 40% CPU usage even at 7000 cycles.

Reply 19 of 25, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are you using the latest video and sound drivers on the Linux version? Have you tried different output renderers and sound sampling rates? Have you tried disabling sound altogether? Are you testing with the exact same DOSBox configuration on Linux and Windows, or are you changing other settings besides cycles?

Also, what program are you using to monitor "resource" usage in Linux? Does it actually say that your CPU is 0% idle?