VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by 7F20

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm having trouble understanding how Dosbox interacts with the resolution of the system it being run on.

Example:
My system is set to output at 640x480 and a 15kHz horizontal scanning rate to an arcade monitor.

Program I am playing is Dark Forces, 320x200 VGA (320x400)

What would I set the dosbox config to get best scaling/image quality? (I am looking for a solution that give me a sharp and pixelated look)

Thanks,

Reply 2 of 8, by dreamer_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would suggest setting `aspect = true` to preserve aspect ratio the game was designed for and using scaler `normal2x` (and fullscreen - either setting it to 640x480 resolution or `desktop` if this is the only display attached). Also, I very, very much recommend playing this game with MIDI music on - it's a borderline different experience (I use Timidity and FluidR3 soundfont).

| ← Ceci n'est pas une pipe
dosbox-staging

Reply 3 of 8, by 7F20

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks Dreamer.
I'll give that a shot. However, my version of Dosbox won't run in fullscreen mode (it's a linux variety that can't do that for some reason I don't understand) but I can set the "windowed mode" to 640x480 resolution. Hopefully that's the same result.

Yes! I love the midi music to Dark Forces. 😀 I am using munt. Is there better quality for Timidity FluidR3?

Reply 4 of 8, by _Rob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You may be running Wayland and not the old Xorg. If this is the case, then a legacy X11 application, such as dosbox, cannot use xrandr to set the resolution, and this may be an issue here. Work is on-going for a solution to this issue.
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_i … ter-XWayland-WA

To check if your running Wayland or X11, run this command:

loginctl show-session $(loginctl | head -2 | tail -n 1 | cut -d' ' -f10) -p Type

Another way to check is to run "xrandr", if your running wayland you will only see 1 resolution listed, the current resolution. While if your running X11 you should get a long list of possible resolution options.

Reply 5 of 8, by dreamer_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
7F20 wrote:

Thanks Dreamer.
I'll give that a shot. However, my version of Dosbox won't run in fullscreen mode (it's a linux variety that can't do that for some reason I don't understand) but I can set the "windowed mode" to 640x480 resolution. Hopefully that's the same result.

Yes! I love the midi music to Dark Forces. 😀 I am using munt. Is there better quality for Timidity FluidR3?

I use primarily Linux and implemented several workarounds for DOSBox SDL 1.2 issues in Boxtron (including workarounds for fullscreen issues). Can you share some more details about your setup? (what distro, what version of DOSBox, X11 or Wayland, etc)?

Yes, using software MIDI synthesiser with good soundfont will give you much better music than Munt/MT-32 - here's sample of gameplay using "Timbres of Heaven" soundfont: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvzVGk3IKhI&t=652s

| ← Ceci n'est pas une pipe
dosbox-staging

Reply 6 of 8, by 7F20

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dreamer_ wrote:

I use primarily Linux and implemented several workarounds for DOSBox SDL 1.2 issues in Boxtron (including workarounds for fullscreen issues). Can you share some more details about your setup? (what distro, what version of DOSBox, X11 or Wayland, etc)?

I'm running it on a raspberry pi, on raspbian which is a debian branch. I'm not running a desktop environment like Xorg et al. I think I've read somewhere that the fullscreen mode functions if I install xorg, but I don't think running dosbox in xorg is optimal because of performance issues. Still, if that's the best option to get the resolutions to match right, maybe I should. Sorry if I'm ignorant here...

I just tried it again, and it's behaving very weirdly. I queried my console with fbset -s and confirmed 320x200 system resolution (I changed it from 640x480 to test), but then when I try to launch a 320x200 game in dosbox, I get a tiny square in the middle of the screen. If mess around with scaling, I can get it to stretch out, but I think the image gets jacked-up. Shouldn't a 320x200 res game in dosbox fill the screen (using surface, no scaling)if my system resolution is set to 320x200?

Reply 7 of 8, by _Rob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

PC monitors will normally not go that low. My monitor for instance will not go lower then 800x600. So either some kind of scaling needs to take place somewhere, or you get a postage stamp sized window.

Some TVs however will support lower resolutions, mainly to support old game consoles, but depending on the TV that may only work if hooked up through an analogue input.

Reply 8 of 8, by 7F20

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
_Rob wrote:

PC monitors will normally not go that low.

I'm using a Sony monitor from the late 80's with NTSC, CGA and RGBHV compatibility.

It has a fairly broad scan rate, but generally can't go higher than 21kHz H and 10MHz pixel clock.